#1 Michael_Mcr

Michael_Mcr

Master

• Prime Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:38 PM

First impressions - Piel Frama HD2 iMagnum case

At the end of January I purchased the HTC PO S511 flip case for the HD2. It has been a great case for only £15, but is already showing some signs of ageing so a replacement was needed.

I ordered the Piel Frama HD2 iMagnum case in black from mobilefun.co.uk for £54.95 plus shipping. It was dispatched promptly and here are some first thoughts and pictures.

The iMagnum is a flip type case hinged at the top and sporting an overlap magnetic clasp for holding it closed. The iMagnum is comprised of 2 very thin and hard plastic shells which are shaped like open ended “trays” . These are both covered in thin embossed leather on the inside surfaces and thick, padded leather on the outside surfaces. They are connected together by the top leather hinge.

The HD2 is held in place by sliding it between the side walls of the lower “tray” and is gripped very firmly by virtue of a tight fit and the obvious rigidity of the plastic shell walls. There is no suggestion that the HD2 could work its way loose either by movement or gravity. It really is held very firmly in place and the case is a very exact fit.

My first thought on viewing the case is that it is in fact a little bulkier than the advertising pictures would suggest because of the padded leather exterior. The dimensions with an HD2 inside are:

Overall depth averages 25mm – over twice the depth of the “naked” HD2. The case is deeper, nearer to 30mm, in places because of the magnetic closure clasp and the screw mount base of the belt clip lug.

I find this a little disappointing, because whilst the lower tray is a respectable 15mm deep, barely deeper than the HD2 itself which sits flush in it, the upper tray / lid of the case is nearly 10 mm deep and much of this is fresh air because of the walled design. I have to assume this is an intended form of anti-crush screen protection for the HD2, but it does take away some of the attractive thinness of the device.

Case width is a very respectable 73mm, just 6mm wider than the HD2

Height is just over 125mm including the hinge, so again only a few mm more than the HD2 itself.

The iMagnum case features a rear cut away for the speaker, camera lens and camera led’s. The overlap closure tab has a cut-out to allow access to the headphone jack when the case is closed, but has no cut-out access to either the micro-usb port or the phone microphone when the case is closed. The left side of the lower tray is cut back to allow access to the volume switch.

Included in the box is a quick release belt clip and a spanner type tool which allows you to unscrew and replace the belt clip lug on the rear of the case with a flush fitting silver button, if you don’t wish to use the belt clip.

The magnetic clasp works well enough, though it is possible to accidently open the clasp by the action of putting it into or removing it from a pocket. The magnetic clasp does not affect the operation of the electronic compass when the case lid is hanging downwards in its normal open position, but folding the lid back on itself to be nearer the case does start to swing the compass around when the magnetic clasp gets closer to the device.

This is a clearly very well made case which uses high quality materials throughout. I feel that it makes the HD2 a little bulkier than perhaps it needs to be, but overall I am very impressed.

Michael
HTC One, Surface Pro 3

#2 The Guru

The Guru

The Guru himself

• Administrators
  • 40,470 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:58 PM

A very nice looking case Mike, reminds me a lot of the great holsters Vaja used to make!

Daron Brewood

C.E.O. Smartphonegurus

(Microsoft MVP Windows Phone Oct 2002 - Oct 2011)

Twitter: @T3kk2

#3 Michael_Mcr

Michael_Mcr

Master

• Prime Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:27 PM

A very nice looking case Mike, reminds me a lot of the great holsters Vaja used to make!

i have to say that, notwithstanding my comments about bulkiness, the iMagnum feels beautifully made and feels like you could jump up and down on it and not harm the HD2 inside...
Michael
HTC One, Surface Pro 3

#4 tonybro

tonybro

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:34 PM

That's the case I wanted and Mobile Fun were showing in their pictures when I ordered mine in December but they supplied the 'Classic' case and instead of replacing with the one pictured where only offering a return - naughty and Mr Trading Standards may have been interested but I was busy with work and ended up just keeping the classic even though the design frustrates (workmanship and quality are top notch as usual!)

Nice little review there Michael_Mcr!  :D

Tony
Reviewer & Moderator

Main Devices: Nokia Lumias 930,920,520, 800, Samsung Galaxy SIII, MS Surface Pro 128GB, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7
Other Devices: HTC HD7 & HD2, HTC Desire, HTC Touch Pro 2, HTC X7510, XDA Mantle, XDA Exec, XDA Orbit 2

#5 Michael_Mcr

Michael_Mcr

Master

• Prime Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:21 AM

That's the case I wanted and Mobile Fun were showing in their pictures when I ordered mine in December but they supplied the 'Classic' case and instead of replacing with the one pictured where only offering a return - naughty and Mr Trading Standards may have been interested but I was busy with work and ended up just keeping the classic even though the design frustrates (workmanship and quality are top notch as usual!)

Having read your earlier postings about this matter of them sending the wrong case, when i rang up to order i did press them to confirm that it would be the iMagnum they would be sending and not the classic case !!

Nothing wrong with the classic case mind you, but i was just a little suspicious as £55 seemd cheap for the iMagnum, but lo and behold they delivered one !!
Michael
HTC One, Surface Pro 3

#6 Guest_leopold30_*

Guest_leopold30_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:06 AM

See my video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP2ZZR9rHdA

[Mod edit to embed video!]

#7 fowljr

fowljr

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 19,425 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

Thanks leopold30, that's a nice looking case isn't it.

Jim Fowl
Moderator&Reviewer www.smartphonegurus.com

#8 tonybro

tonybro

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

Hi leopold30, :welcome1:

Nice video.....

Tony
Reviewer & Moderator

Main Devices: Nokia Lumias 930,920,520, 800, Samsung Galaxy SIII, MS Surface Pro 128GB, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7
Other Devices: HTC HD7 & HD2, HTC Desire, HTC Touch Pro 2, HTC X7510, XDA Mantle, XDA Exec, XDA Orbit 2

DSL Developmnents