• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 The Guru

The Guru

The Guru himself

• Administrators
  • 39,533 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:39 PM

Ever since I've been running Android I've found a LOST.DIR folder on my SD card, and as this made me worry as was I losing files due to disk corruption.

However a bit of research has enearthed what it is for. Well two theories at least:

• LOST.DIR is like the recycle bin from windows. Android is a linux derivate so if you delete a file via Windows PC, and forgot to unmount the device, where such files get deleted, the LOST.DIR keeps em for recovery
  • LOST.DIR is something mac/PC disk repair looks for and will ask about as part of it's repair process. If it's related at all to the standard lost+found, then it's a special file that holds all the corrupted or orphaned files found during a file system check.
  • LOST.DIR this directory is simply for ANY deleted or 'lost' file for recovery purposes.

Now there you go :)

Daron Brewood

C.E.O. Smartphonegurus

(Microsoft MVP Windows Phone Oct 2002 - Oct 2011)

Surface Pro2 / Lumia 925 running WP8.1 / HTC One (M7)

#2 johnston411

johnston411

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:45 PM

Its a pita if you want to search for a file using a file manager as it has hundreds if little files in it.

There is a way to stop it filling up after deleting the contents that involves changing some code in system files.

Can't remember it off the top of my head though

LUMIA 1020, GALAXY NOTE 2, HTC ONE V, HTC SENSATION, HTC SENSATION XL, HTC RADAR, GALAXY TAB 2, NEXUS 7

#3 The Guru

The Guru

The Guru himself

• Administrators
  • 39,533 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:53 PM

Indeed, it does worry me though as I always dismount the card very carefully and tend to think it's a forerunner of SD corruption!

Daron Brewood

C.E.O. Smartphonegurus

#4 johnston411

johnston411

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:23 PM

it does bugger all from what i could tell as i stopped it from filling up on the streak and made no difference at all. I made sure i waited till a few others had reported success with the process before i did it though.

Always worth checking what these random folders are for :)

LUMIA 1020, GALAXY NOTE 2, HTC ONE V, HTC SENSATION, HTC SENSATION XL, HTC RADAR, GALAXY TAB 2, NEXUS 7

#5 The Guru

The Guru

The Guru himself

• Administrators
  • 39,533 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:56 PM

If you can find that code on how to disable it - it;d be very much appreciated mate!

Daron Brewood

C.E.O. Smartphonegurus

#6 johnston411

johnston411

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

i can't seem to find it

it seems some folk have recovered lost data like pictures and mp3's by renaming the file extensions to jpg etc or .mp3 so if it is getting too big might be worth checking you've not lost anything.

odd as the info around on it a few months ago was sparse when it came to it's function

#7 The Guru

The Guru

The Guru himself

• Administrators
  • 39,533 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

No probs I'll live with it, only what looks like a few temporary files in mine anyway.

Daron Brewood

C.E.O. Smartphonegurus

DSL Developmnents