Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neilm

Outlook 2016 lost my old emails (SOLVED)

22 posts in this topic

It works, but I prefer the Outlook Application...

Same on iOS, the inbuilt client works, but I prefer the Outlook.com app again...

On iOS I've switched from using Outlook and gone back to the native apps. Reasons being if Outlook exports the contacts out into the default 'Contacts App'  (needed for some parts of the OS) then useful niceties like contact photos are not included. Plus location based reminders fail as these seem to use the inbuilt Calendar app.

The built in apps do work with Exchange, and actually pretty well, but I prefer the integration of Touchdown having all Outlook elements in the same app, and the extra Exchange features it offers such as GAL, out of office replies etc.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

Okay fair enough, makes sense!

I use the Outlook app on iOS, but also add the account into the native apps but disable all but contact sync...

That's what I was doing as an interim work around but when I found out that not sync'ing the calendar stopped:

• Importation of events into my 'Days Since' App
  • Stopped location based reminders from saving

I decided that it was just easier to remove it and work with the native OS apps. Outlook was great in that it was all in one place and had a nice set of extra calendar views but it was not that well interlinked into the rest of the OS.

Yeah amazing what you finds once you commit to using a new OS for a while.

Okay...can someone dumb this down for me.  I have Office 365.  Downloaded on a new laptop in December.  Going back to look for an old email today and now all I have is my January emails.  Nothing from December when I purchased the new computer and installed the software.  I have an archive folder, but it is empty.  Where did my December emails go?

Thank you,

Cheri

Hi Cheri

Welcome to SPG.

We can take you through a few scenarios, but these may or may not be relevant to your case. 

Probably the most important thing is to locate your old emails assuming they still exist. Are you using Outlook as an email client for your Office 365 account? 

If you go online to your Outlook Web Access site for your O365 account, are the emails still missing? If so, then Outlook has probably pruned the old ones during installation on your new PC. 

Do you still have access to the old laptop? If so, make sure you are OFFLINE, turn it on then open Outlook to see if the emails are present there. At least these could form a backup if needed. It is very important that you remain offline for this, as if you are online, Outlook will synchronise to the current setup, and remove the older content. 

On the new laptop, you will need to search for the archive file. You mention an archive folder- do you mean a local PC folder, or a folder within the Outlook folder tree? Archive content may well be in a PC folder, and not show in the Outlook archive folder.

The first place to look is within 'My Documents/Outlook Files'; check there to see if there is an 'archive.pst' file. If so, check the date and see if it corresponds to the date you installed the new software. For further security, I'd make a copy of the file if it is present. If it isn't there, then I'd suggest doing a global search of your PC for '*.pst' to find all PST files present. 

If there are no PST files, then it would assume that all the older content has been lost or deleted during the upgrade process. In that case you would need to refer back to the old laptop or one of your backups (you do have backups?)

Let us know how you get on, and if you find the archive.pst file; we can help you restore your content from there. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0