Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Guru

Review: Brodit Mobile Phone Active holder USB with cig-plug for Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

6 posts in this topic

Product: Brodit Mobile Phone Active holder USB with cig-plug for Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (Item No: 521866)

Brodit_S7_Edge_521866_01.JPG

Our good friends over at DSL Developments have supplied us with a Brodit Mobile Phone Active holder USB with cig-plug for Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. The mount in question is the Active model which is suitable for powering via a cigarette lighter socket. (Product code: 521866).

Note: 'cig-plug' in these politically correct times should be renamed 'accessory socket', but Brodit still use the 'cig-plug' description :)

Brodit_S7_Edge_521866_02.JPG

The phone holder arrived packaged by Brodit in a plastic bag which contained the mount itself, the instructions and a bag of mounting screws. For a new user to the world of Brodit you'd also have to purchase a matching Brodit Mount for your car.

Brodit_S7_Edge_521866_03.JPG

As you can see the holder comprises the mounting bracket itself and a trailing 'active' power lead which ends in USB-A connector which in turn plugs into a car power adaptor (for a cigarette lighter socket).

Brodit_S7_Edge_521866_05.JPG

The back of the holder has the standard Brodit 'universal mount' which allows the holder to be swivelled to allow it to be positioned finely with respect to orientation once in the car.

Brodit_S7_Edge_521866_06.JPG

The inside of the mount has moulded grooves which are tailored to fit the exact profile of the S7 Edge. The USB connection at the base lines up exactly with the female connector on the bottom of the phone.

Brodit_S7_Edge_521866_07.JPG

The 'active' lead enters a moulded flexible grommet in the base / back of the holder and the power is carried through to the in-situ USB adaptor at the inner base of the holder. Brodit have angled the cable exit through 90 degrees so it comes out at the back of the holder - this ensures that the active cable is forced backwards towards the dashboard, this reduces the chance of the cable interfering with any controls you may wish to access when driving.

Brodit_S7_Edge_521866_08.JPG

The S7 Edge is slid downwards into the holder to engage on the connector.

Brodit_S7_Edge_521866_09.JPG

Once the phone has engaged with the USB connector that along with the friction between the Edge and the mount slots hold the phone firmly in position.

As you can see the upper part of the phone sits above the holder and this gives complete unobstructed access to the buttons on the sides of the S7.

Brodit_S7_Edge_521866_10.JPG

As always if you already have a Brodit mount / holder combination in your car you can short-cut the install process by unscrewing the adjustment screw from the universal joints on the old / new holders and simply swap over the top portion of the holders.

Brodit_S7_Edge_521866_11.JPG

This allows you to fit the holder into the car in double quick time :)

Brodit_S7_Edge_521866_12.JPG

Once the holder is mounted you only need to plug the power adaptor into the cars accessory (cigarette lighter) socket and the fitting work is done. It's worth mentioning that there is a very bright white 'power on' indicator ring around the top of the adaptor. The adaptor itself gives out 5V at 2.0 Amps which will power the phone for 'normal' use.

The charger does not have the Qualcomm Quick Charge technology built in (which would allow it to allow it to "talk" to the phone and negotiate a quick charge session), so if you want to gain Fast charging, useful while driving using a Sat Nav application, you need to replace that part of the Brodit system.

I replaced the standard adaptor with a 'AUKEY Quick Charge 2.0 Car Charger 36W 2 Ports USB', as seen here on Amazon which does enable Fast charging. That was the reason for choosing this specific Brodit mount.

Note: Samsung have stayed with Quick Charge 2.0 on the S7 series of devices, choosing purposefully (for reasons of their own) not to embrace the newer and very slightly faster Quick Charge 3.0 standard  - the difference is marginal between the two however and the Quick Charge standards are backwardly compatible.

Brodit_S7_Edge_521866_16.jpg

You can see the differences in the charging information displayed on the phone above.

Brodit_S7_Edge_521866_13b.JPG

The S7 is fitted into the mount by sliding it down into the pre-moulded grooves until it engages on the USB charger at the bottom of the mount.

As always with Brodit the S7 Edge is held firmly, even when driving over country roads there is no problem with vibration or movement - the phone is securely mounted. The lack of vibrational movement ensues that the display is readable at all times - useful when navigating rough British roads!

Conclusion:

Brodit have maintained their reputation for designing first class smartphone mounts; and as always the service provided by DSL Developments goes above and beyond expectations.

Pros and Cons:

:tu: A good sturdy holder designed by experts
:tu: Holds the phone securely and firmly in the holder even when driving at speed on rough road surfaces
:tu: Ensures a reasonable level of power for operation when making calls or navigating
:tu: Designed specifically for the Galaxy S7 Edge
:tu: Good access to the buttons on all sides of the phone
:tu: Active lead exits the housing behind the mount

:td: Not cheap, but this is a premier bracket for a premier phone
:td: Brodit really should have supplied a Fast charge power adaptor as standard

Details:

Supplier: Brodit DSL Developments
Model: Brodit Mobile Phone Active holder USB with cig-plug for Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (Item No: 521866)
Price at publication date: £ 59.98 inc. Vat

Nice review as usual Daron, the quality of the S7 Edge holder does shine through.

How secure is the S7 Edge when the holder is horizontal?

One again, a premium product from Brodit. 

It always amazes me how many devices they can make bespoke holders for!

13 hours ago, Boz said:

Nice review as usual Daron, the quality of the S7 Edge holder does shine through.

How secure is the S7 Edge when the holder is horizontal?

It does indeed. Strangely enough I switched it to horizontal operation this morning while testing out TomTom GO in that orientation, and it is held firmly enough, no signs of looseness at all.

53 minutes ago, neilm said:

It always amazes me how many devices they can make bespoke holders for!

Indeed, I'd love to know the logistics as to how long of a production life the mount actually has.

And how many units are sold would be an interesting statistic.

Excellent review D! It is tempting to move back to a bespoke holder. But with the rate of phone change, albeit that has slowed considerably over the years....

It would be but we'll never find out.

I love my Brodit mounts, and I must admit I do have a fair collection that has built up over the years! Now I too have slowed phone changes that means a holder is a definite must to have!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0