Smartphone Gurus
The Guru

Review: HTC Desire S (O2)

dodolom

Not a problem, will try to take a less shaky one tomorrow :) What did you think of the quality?

You know what, I m surprised with the quality. I thought it was really good. I live in the US and bought the Incredible S about a month ago. I'll tell you, I wasn't impressed with the recording quality or the picture taking quality. Maybe I got a bad phone or something because it was the Asian version. I sold that phone already and I really want to get the Desire S but unfortunately this phone will not work on any of the 3G/4G networks here which is a bummer but I still might get it. Also, the fact that the bootloaders are signed on these new HTC devices are a dealbreaker. I just am hoping, those guys over on XDA will come up with something.

The problem is that European versions of these devices come as S-ON and the Asian versions like the Incredible S I bought come as S-OFF which makes it easily rootable. Unfortunately most of these developers are Europe based and will only have access to the S-ON versions of these devices which is quite hard to root from what I hear.

Well, let's just wait and see I guess.

Thanks again and looking forward to the other video tomorrow. Nice day in the UK seems like :)

The Guru

The quality was impressive enough, I probably could have stabilized it a little more but I did want to try and get some movement into it so to give the video a bit of life. Later on today I'll be taking a few shots of the new (to me) car, and we'll see how those come out, I may even be brave and try a bit of audio! :)

Well if anyone can crack the signed bootloaders and work around the S-ON issues it will be the guys at Xda-Devs. Fingers crossed that they manage something as I'd find it very useful to be rooted at least even if not for ROM loading purposes!

Anything else I can check out for you?

dodolom

The quality was impressive enough, I probably could have stabilized it a little more but I did want to try and get some movement into it so to give the video a bit of life. Later on today I'll be taking a few shots of the new (to me) car, and we'll see how those come out, I may even be brave and try a bit of audio! :)

Well if anyone can crack the signed bootloaders and work around the S-ON issues it will be the guys at Xda-Devs. Fingers crossed that they manage something as I'd find it very useful to be rooted at least even if not for ROM loading purposes!

Anything else I can check out for you?

Ha ha...thanks but I think I know everything I need to know. I was going to buy one yesterday on eBay from the UK but the seller didn't want to ship it to the US. It was brand new locked to Orange and went for 257 pounds, very reasonable.

I actually asked about the LED notifications to someone and I was told you get the amber/green and the blue like the original desire. Can you confirm this? I remember being able to get the blue on the handcent SMS app for example.

Thanks again

The Guru

Strangely I was looking into LEDs last night and the only ones I could get working were the blue, green and amber. :) So yes it looks about right!

A pity that buyer refused to ship.

dodolom

Strangely I was looking into LEDs last night and the only ones I could get working were the blue, green and amber. :) So yes it looks about right!

A pity that buyer refused to ship.

Did you notice the capacitive buttons not lighting up at times where it should be? I've read that in the engadget review just a few minutes ago and wanted to see if that's the case really.

Engadget Review

The Guru

It is there as an issue but I'd not describe it as not lighting up when they should. Sometimes in low light conditions they do light up, and sometimes don't. It is somewhat hit and miss but for me it's not that much of an issue. As it's easy enough to get used to the position of the buttons. It caused me so little hassle that even forgot to mention it in the review!

dodolom

Yeah, usually you get used to the location of the buttons and know what to press without even looking, so I wouldn't consider it as an issue either.

The Guru

Exactly. I think I've hot the wrong button once or twice that's all.

One possibly semi-issue that may be worth mentioning is that the OS on there (with Sense addons) does not perform well with third party profile controllers like PhoneWeaver. PW has problems controlled the mobile data. When turned on the signal is there but no data can travel across the link. So the only way of controlling the system is via the Sense shortcuts - no great problem, but one I thought worth mentioning.

The Guru

Awesome! with a bit of luck I'll be doing more video examples myself at the weekend!

dodolom

Awesome! with a bit of luck I'll be doing more video examples myself at the weekend!

Hi again,

I just got my Desire S today and I am quite happy with it except for a few things. One problem is the gap between the screen and the edges,especially around the capacative button areas because the gap basically lets the light through when the screen is turned on.

Second issue I have is the LED Notifications. I can't get anything besides Green. I know it's supposed to have Amber and Blue just like the original Desire. You told me that you got the blue color. Can you tell me how you happened to get it working?

Thanks mate,

The Guru

Congrats on the new arrival :)

No such problem with fit and function on my machine I have to say, there are no gaps around the screen at all, and no light leakage.

On the LEDs I get green when charged, amber when charging. I was sure I'd seen blue but I can't get it to trigger at the moment. Maybe that function was removed with the ROM update I got half way through the review process?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.