Smartphone Gurus
Sign in to follow this  
The Guru

Anti-Virus on Windows 10

The Guru

As you know I'm running the tech preview of Windows 10, and of course that has within it Defender. However as a fan of Bitdefender (prior to that using Avast) I wanted a better AV client. Neither Bitdefender or Avast will install under Windows 10.

So up to now I've been running with Defender, but today that changed. One of the techie sites I consider valid out there on the web is 'Gizmos freeware' and today I came across an interesting article on the site entitled: 'This Antivirus is the Number-One contender on the block' and it refers to a product I've seen mentioned around recently called 360 Total Security.

Part of the article intro reads:

There are plenty of antivirus products on the web and you might have your own favorites. Earlier this year, 360 Security came from nowhere to beat most of the top rated antivirus products that's been there for a long time now. The product has been getting rave reviews from all quarters by independent labs and users alike.

It has achieved Advanced+ awards for Real-time protection, Performance and File detection tests at AV-Comparitives. At AV-Test it has secured the perfect 6/6 for Usability and Performance and 5.5/6 for Protection in the Total Scores.

To cut a long story short the app looks impressive, has a lot of features, is free of charge and is Win 10 compatible. So needless to say I'm now running it on my work PC :) It'll get loaded at home tonight.

So worth considering folks!

[Gizmos Review]

[360 Total Security Web Site]

fowljr

Hmmmmm, doesn't Windows 10 come with Microsoft's stuff already installed?

The Guru

Yeah but it is very basic and MS still advise about using alternatives (for increased protection).  360 with the Bitdefender engine set to run works for me! :)

The Guru

They did, I posted the link ages ago on site somewhere. They actually said IIRC that their product provides basic protection and that commercial offerings give a higher level of protection.

The Guru

Okay so I was off slightly with my original comment. I was rather busy at the time

fowljr

Hmmm. I've not had a problem thus far, and I've not installed anything extra on Windows 8...

The Guru

Probably not needed Jim and you are a knowledgable browser so likely safe. I just like to be extra secure. And hey 360 is free :)

fowljr

Yep, can't argue with the free bit. Might be the way to go on the family PC if I upgrade it to Windows 10. It currently runs Windows 7...

The Guru

Worth it even more if you're running Win 7 as Defender is less comprehensive than the version in 8 and 10.... IMHO.

bydandie

I had a look at this, and something is telling me to stay away. It's not just it's from China, the best AV comes from Eastern Europe or Israel, there's little on the company.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this