Smartphone Gurus
The Guru

New Forum Software

The Guru

Version 4.1 of the forum software is out but I'm holding off upgrading as we're pretty stable now with everything working. 4.1 has introduced a lot of changes including a new default theme, new navigation system, New Content is gone replaced with a new Activity Stream and no third party apps / modifications will work!

So that means that it'll need new code for the portal (again), a new theme designing and losing all the modifications we have in place.

At the moment I do not have the free time to go through all the changes and code needed to get us up and running with the new 4.1, as last time it took 6 weeks of hard work to get us where we are with 4.0.x.

If it starts to look more favourable over the next few weeks I'll consider the uplift. 4.1.1 is likely to be out in a week or two with the first batch of bug fixes and I'll see how the other forum operators find it.

neilm

As we are on the major '4' release, there doesn't seem to much point in fixing what ain't broke :)

Let others troubleshoot- you did more than your fair share last time !

The Guru

Indeed, I'll not argue with that. Some of the hardship I could live with, but the thought of recoding the portal again.... shudder!

The Guru

Well it is confirmed there are problems with the 4.1.x forum software with respect to:

• The 'stream' replacement for 'New Content' is causing issues for a few forum operators as a lot of users do not like it
  • The 4.1 release does completely break the system we now use for our portal.

Needless to say I'm not rushing to do the upgrade. I may even go down the route of setting up a test site to see how it goes as there are a LOT of changes.

The Guru

Well I decided to listen to all those who advised that the problems with IPS 4.1.x had all been fixed and even the news portal would work with a template replacement exercise. So I put the work in tonight to uplift us to the latest incarnation of the forum software.

Well it seems that most folks were right with the exception of the template replacement for the portal :(

Anyway the changes that will effect users are:

Activity Streams

• Users can edit and save admin streams to create their own, custom copy.
  • The main show-all stream automatically tells you when there is new activity
  • Users can create custom streams
  • User streams can be shared but viewer will only see content based on their permissions
  • Filter options include:
    • All content or specific apps. Some apps support further refinement into categories or content-type.
    • Unread content
    • Ownership
      • Content I posted in
      • Content I started
      • Content by specific members (user can create a list)
    • Content I follow
      • Areas I follow
      • Specific content I follow
      • Posted by members I follow
    •  Time Period
      • Any time
      • Since my last visit
      • Specified number of days
      • Specific date range
  • Activity Streams that reference features not available to Guests such as unread tracking and follow system will auto-hide

Editor updates

• Uses div-mode which is much faster and more reliable. Clicking into the editor is now pretty much instant.
  • Auto-linking and member mentions to use new APIs for better reliability
  • Quotes, code boxes, and spoilers can be dragged and moved and there is no more "red line"
  • When cmd/ctrl right-clicking: options to remove or break-out of quotes, edit links and edit image properties
  • Pasting asks if you want to convert to plain text
  • Totally new code plugin with syntax highlighting as you type
  • Option to make enter behave as a new line rather than with spacing
  • Editor is responsive, and ability to have small editor show in areas with less space
  • Member @mentions in posts can now be selected by tab key

Search

• The main search box defaults to the app you are currently browsing unless you are on home page where it searches all
  • New default interface
  • Results now highlight and skip to search term in preview

Instant Notifications

• Receive notifications via your Browser Notifications of new Personal Messages and anything in the notifications menu

The main change is the removal of the 'View New Content' option and that has been replaced by an 'Activity Stream'. You can use the default stream (which I've copied to the top of the navigation page) and called 'View New Content'  to help the transition. However you may want to use the option to create your own stream and use that instead. Plenty of options to play around with.

Whilst viewing the stream there is an icon top right of the page which allows you to toggle between expanded and compressed stream mode. The default is expanded but you may find compressed more useful. Also note the circle at the start of a thread if clicked upon will open the thread at the last unread thread.

Oh and you may need  to clear your caches to settle everything in!

So fire away with the questions!

fowljr

The new software update is interesting... Is anyone else seeing a lot of posts that were already read? My unread feed has posts I've already read in it again!

The Guru

Yep you will see that, you will need to use the mark as read facility at the top or bottom of the stream page to get it in sync again. How are you finding the new stream system?

tonybro

New stream system is horrible!

I can't seem to find the go to last post - it takes you to start of thread.

Not impressed......

The Guru

Yeah tell me about it, it seems it is that it is either loved or loathed. At the start of each thread you will see a circle, if you click on that to open the thread it will go to the last unread.

Guys I've merged these threads as we need to make visible the thoughts and comments as to how to get to grips with the new software visible to everyone :)

The Guru

And I've now reworked the tab structure at the top of the site to be more usable.

Boz

I'm not impressed with it! I've had to post this using Firefox, Microsoft Edge gives me the option to add a file but I can't add any text and yes I've cleared my cache.

edge.thumb.JPG.e3a4be8bae4b1836142f54a93

The Guru

Hmm I've just logged into it here using Edge and it is working perfectly - I'm using Edge to post this erm post with now.

And all looking okay for me in Edge as you can see:

edge.thumb.jpg.c544ac93fb301a86faa9e33d0

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.