Smartphone Gurus
Sign in to follow this  
The Guru

Review: Mozo Qi Wireless Charging Back Cover Case for Lumia 950XL

The Guru

Well after a few delays today I took delivery of the 'Mozo Qi Wireless Charging Back Cover Case for Lumia 950XL' which was supplied by Clove Technology. The model ordered was the Cognac / Silver variant which sports a natural leather finish with white stitching.

The case arrived in a typical plastic pop-apart product boxing, useful as it is not destroyed when removing the case so it can be used for storing the original Lumia back cover.

2015-12-31-12.13.29-004-large.jpg.cebd2d

As you can see as this is an official 'Designed for Microsoft Lumia' cover it supports both NFC and Wireless charging via circuitry internal to the cover itself.

2015-12-31-12.14.14-002-large.jpg.b58221

Once removed the cover looks gorgeous and feels 'premium' (poor new year lighting does not do it justice), there are a few ripples and ridges on the back, but that is expected with natural leather.

2015-12-31-12.14.22-003-large.jpg.a619f7

Inside you can see decent quality protection over the circuitry and the metallic contacts ready to engage with the phone innards.

2015-12-31-12.16.13-001-large.jpg.129e42

Once in place the cover looks and feels amazing. The natural leather gives a very tactile surface for one to interact with and the slightly increased weight seems to balance out the 950XL and it feels much nicer to handle. I'm very happy to say that there are no creaks with this case at all (unlike the standard offering) and the Lumia is silent now when handled.

2015-12-31-12.16.46-003-large.jpg.8952db

The buttons and outer edge are now silvered (coated plastic) and look in keeping with the leather. The only improvement here IMHO would be if a brass effect had been used. The buttons themselves are much firmer in operation than those on the standard case.

So overall no complaints at all with the case, and a very much liked belated Christmas present!

Michael_Mcr

They are very nice cases indeed. I have the black leather 950 case and it has transformed it. I also noticed that the buttons have a better feel than the standard case gives ,

I would add that the buttons and outer edge are actually metal.............ish :).  They are " vacuum metal coated polycarbonate ", which is a process whereby metal is vaporised and then sprayed or evaporated onto plastic inside a vacuum, giving a very thin coat of real metal.

I remember reading about this process many years back when it was developed for coating video tapes in real metal as a step up from existing "metal" particle tapes to allow far higher image recording performance. Sony used it first for Video 8 tapes, which allowed the tapes to be much smaller than Betamax or VHS, but with far higher quality,

Back to the Mozo cases - if you hold it to the light, it does reflect and shine properly as real metal and adds a premium edge finish to the 950 / XL, i think. Its not a cheap process, but the cases look far, far better than painted "chrome" plastic and should be harder wearing too.

The Guru

Thanks for that Mike, and I agree wholeheartedly about the quality of the coating, as you say it does look very much like metal. I wonder if that is the reason that you are advised not too bend it too much when putting it into place - in case the metal passes a stress point and fails?

Well worth the money though! I just hope it fits in my leather holster when it arrives!

Michael_Mcr

I guess the "do not bend" thing is likely for the same reasons as any plastic case - so that people are made aware of being careful  when fitting and removing.

Jim, I really can recommend these MOZO case backs - they totally transform the 950 / XL with the leather back and that lovely metal surround. As i said in my earlier first impressions thread about the 950 case, it transforms it from an anonymous lump of black plastic into something which looks as well finished as an iphone or an HTC M7/ 8/ 9

The Guru

Mike - Agreed and IMHO you would be careful when fitting it not an idiot :)

Jim - Mike and I are in agreement it has to be done! Plus with you disliking that white colour so much.........

The Guru

The white for me was not a problem, but the leather does score!

Michael_Mcr

That's why I went for the textured black leather. The Cognac leather looks absolutely gorgeous, but I know from experience of shoes and wallets that light tan doesn't survive everyday life very well and shows up all the scratches and dinks.

Sent from my Lumia 950

The Guru

Well hopefully it'll be unlikely to suffer those with me as my phones lived either on the desk or in a crafted leather holster. The 'imperfections' in mine are the natural cow showing through :) Everything else is prefect.

The Guru

One possible gotcha, I've been advised that due to the increased thickness of the back cover that if one is fitted then it will prevent it fitting into a prototype design Brodit mount. I'm hoping that Brodit can work around the issue and come up with a mount that will work with the standard and Mozo covers.

Michael_Mcr

I'm surprised at that; to my eyes the Mozo cover doesn't add any noticeable bulk over the standard cover.

It can only be fractions of a mm ?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this