Smartphone Gurus
Sign in to follow this  
Michael_Mcr

Review: Noreve Tradition D case for Microsoft Lumia 950 & 950 Dual Sim

Michael_Mcr

Noreve Tradition D case for Microsoft Lumia 950 & 950 Dual Sim

I recently purchased a Microsoft Lumia 950 and was offered the opportunity to review a leather case for it, kindly provided by Noreve.

Supplier  Noreve

Price  From €55, price as reviewed €60.

Founded and based in Saint-Tropez, Noreve produce a range of craftsmen made high quality leather products, which includes cases and covers for a variety of mobile devices, including smartphones, tablets, mp3 players and cameras. Noreve also make leather belts, wallets and other small leather goods.  

There is a wide range of customisation options available for the Leather texture, colour and internal lining (where relevant) when you order your chosen product from the Noreve website.

56b6338f65fac_Norevewebsite.jpg.deeb5f39

The website also offers purchase options of having a plastic or metal quick release belt clip system incorporated into your chosen case for €7 or €15. Gift wrapping is available as a €6 extra.

56b779366411f_Norevebeltclip.thumb.jpg.0

Noreve offer a range of cases for Microsoft Lumia phones and the 950 and 950XL range includes including pouch and rear shell types. The price includes free worldwide shipping.

It is clear that Noreve are passionate about using the very finest materials and exceptional craftsmanship, with great attention to detail. This is highlighted by the fact that the website even has a page devoted to the design and quality of the packaging for your chosen product, “ to create and produce covers and cases which respect the identity of our products, while underlining their sparkle and their prestige “.

This was immediately clear upon opening the package containing my review case, to find an impressive red Noreve presentation box, made of solid materials. Inside this box was a Noreve red draw string bag, again made of luxury material and inside that was the Tradition D case itself.  My initial thought was that you would be delighted to receive a gift in such packaging.

56b633857d051_Noreve1packaging.jpg.4bc8d

My chosen case is the Tradition D horizontal flap case. The horizontal front flap cover is free of magnetic claps or fasteners (although a pop fastener option is available on the Tradition B variant).

56b63386516cb_Noreve2caseopen.jpg.7ac5ff

The front flap features a mesh covered cut out for the front speaker and it has a substantial leather hinge. 

56b7709389f33_Norevehinge.JPG.f4ffde05b6

The bottom right corner of the case features the distinctive Noreve logo of the moon surrounding the tropézien sun. 

56b6338a94d19_Noreve7.jpg.b2bfb740603d25

From the moment you open the drawstring bag you are greeted with the unmistakable scent of real leather and closer examination of the Tradition D case shows very neat cutting and stitching of the leather and the lining of the Thermoplastic polymer inner tray that holds the smartphone securely.

My case was crafted in Ambition grained leather finished in a dark tan Chataigne colour with matching lining. Ambition leather is made from raw grained leather specially tanned to protect against the weather and scratches, with a pigmented polymeric film to protect against sunlight discolouration.

56b6338729477_Noreve3detail.jpg.16a484bb

The back of the case has a single cut out to accommodate the LED flash, camera lens and speaker.

56b633880949b_Noreve4backcover.jpg.5f718

In Use

The Lumia 950 is a push fit in the Thermoplastic polymer inner tray, which is rigid and holds the device very securely. As the Lumia 950 has a removable back cover, the case was tested with both with the standard 950 back cover and also the Microsoft approved Mozo leather back cover, which was marginally tighter to insert and remove from the Noreve case, but a perfect fit nevertheless.

The phone loses little, if any, signal strength when in the case and I can confirm that wireless charging does still work with the Lumia 950 fitted into the Noreve case.

56b63388f38b8_Noreve5phonein.jpg.44d889a

The case tray has generous cut outs to top, bottom and right hand side to allow access to the headphone socket, USB C charging port, volume, power and camera buttons. In use, all the buttons and ports are easily accessible.

56b6338dad9f3_Norevetop.JPG.6b3ea57a6fab

56b6338e6b3ae_NoreveUSB.JPG.8440cda1a705

56b63389c4252_Noreve6closedcase.jpg.7a4f

The case feels comfortable to hold and the chosen Ambition grained finish is tactile and secure in the hand. The flap cover folds fully back easily, to allow easy screen viewing and access to buttons. The lack of magnetic claps or pop fastener does not present any day-to-day issues when using the case.

56b880a66ba07_Noreveinuse.thumb.JPG.5613

There is a small cost, however, for such luxury not only in monetary terms but also in terms of added bulk and added weight. The Tradition D adds 91g in weight to the Lumia 950’s 150g and doubles the depth of the device to 20mm.

This additional heft would be worrying if it were a cheaper plastic case, but with this case it actually adds to the sense of tactile opulence that it conveys. 

Conclusion:

This case looks and feels sophisticated. The high quality is evident at first glance and details like the stitching, the thick leather hinge and the embossed inlay material reinforce that feeling.

Noreve clearly want to convey a luxury retail experience - from the design and quality of the packaging, through to the solid, hand-stitched leather construction of the case itself and the wide range of options for exotic finishes and colours. 

I would have no hesitation in recommending Noreve to anyone who would ask. It is a premium product worthy of the premium price tag.

Pros

:tu: High quality leather and materials throughout - a real sense of luxury.

:tu: Very substantial materials and construction.

Cons

:td: Adds some weight and bulk to the Lumia 950.

:td: Not cheap, but the price accurately reflects the quality and style.

The Guru

Hi MIke, goodly review! Has the leather stretched to allow the flip cover to close at all?

Michael_Mcr

Yes it has settled in with use and now settles flat. More relevantly to the function of the case is that from day one it has easily folded back on itself to allow the case to be used open.

My view is that i would rather have to break in a substantial piece of leather that will go the distance, than have something flimsy that breaks in a few months, which i have experienced a few times with cases where the hinge is made of synthetic materials.

The Guru

I'll not disagree there. I'm a big believer in premium leather for protecting my phone!

Guest Beware of Noreve

I purchased a Noreve phone case 2.5 years ago and it basically served me well although it is now tearing at the seams. I ordered a new case on June 15 and the Noreve web site advised that my product would be "Dispatched within 3 to 5 days" before I added it to my cart. I received an email from them that same day advising me that my case was made on order and would be "delivered to you within 4 working days (around 21/06/2016)." Unfortunately, it is now July 6 and I still don't have my phone case. I've been in contact several times with Customer Service and have been very disappointed with their incomplete and inaccurate responses. The tracking link they finally provided only informs me that my item arrived in the US on July 1 but there is no carrier information or indication of when I should receive it. I'm very disappointed in this company and will look elsewhere for my next phone case.

Guest Further Warning!

Terrible company to deal with.  Initially refused a refund as the case just wasn't as advertised.  Go check out Trustpilot to see the truth about this company, it's not just me.  Eventually had to go to paypal dispute.  Avoid.

The Guru

it is very sad, a few years ago NoReve were a great company to deal with but it seems not so these days.

tonybro

Likewise I have a number of older NoReve cases and they all seem to still be fine but I haven't bought recently, in fact I went back to Piel Frama (more expensive) recently as I have cases from them that are 10 years old and still fine.

Shame

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this