Smartphone Gurus
Sign in to follow this  
neilm

Outlook 2016 lost my old emails (SOLVED)

neilm

Following a lot of fist clenching and angst regarding Microsoft's removal of manual setup for Outlook 2016, I finally found a way to resolve my rather complex email requirements and get OL2016 working. This has finally allowed me to update the whole Office 365 University setup to Office 2016, as the current methods do not allow individual components to be excluded from the setup

All was looking good, but then I needed to locate an old invoice order number, and the search function did not find the relevant email. 

A bit of looking into my email list, and I found that everything older than 1 year was missing. Oh dear- I have many emails relating to business that are 4-5 years old and all had gone. So, I opened the main OWA server account and likewise there was nothing older than 1 year on the server. Getting a bit sweaty now (although truth be told I do have a backup) !

So, looking in the settings for the email profile I noticed that it was set to only download items up to one year old. Changing that to 'All Time' hopefully fixed the history issue, but not the missing older items.

Thinking a bit more laterally, I looked in my Outlook Files folder and there was a rather large 'archive.pst' file dated the day I installed OL2016. Importing this to the current Mailbox saw all my old items recovered and I heaved a sigh of relief!

I am very annoyed that the default setting for installing OL2016 with an existing account seems to archive older items with absolutely no mention that that is what would happen. Users with less experience might well assume that they had done something to delete their old items unnecessarily. I had a thought that it might be due to the autoarchive settings being reset to a default state, and that this was the reason, but looking at all my folder showed that all the original 'Do Not Archive' settings had been applied correctly. 

Maybe this was a one off for some reason, as I've not heard it mentioned before, but an issue nonetheless :)

The Guru

Hmm interesting that Neil, not an issue I've had with my Office 365 account at all, but then again I use the O365 based archive for stuff I really want to keep safe / archive. Much safer than a local PST file. I learnt the hard way at work why Microsoft are trying to move folks away from using PST files. My main mail archive was made using a PST and corrupted, a rebuild/repair got a lot of stuff back but I did lose some items it would haw been useful to retain.

Michael_Mcr

Yes, PST files are a ticking time bomb.You need backups of backups with them.

Very irritating and stressful to be put in a position where it appears all is lost though Neil, saved only because you are technically experienced in all things MS; other folk would not have the insight to go looking elsewhere.

I rely on the calender for reference to past dealings and it annoys me that both Google and MS automatically remove events more than 90 days old from device calenders and will not allow re-import of historical entries.

neilm

I'd normally have the security of the server side file storage plus backups, but when Outlook unilaterally decided to prune my inbox, of course the sync removed all the pruned items from the server as well!

Anyway, all working nicely now and OL2016 is pretty good!

The Guru

One benefit (sic) of the iPhone is that it doesn't limit any events :)

neilm

Likewise using Touchdown on Android- it works pretty much like Outlook on Windows in terms of configurability.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

The Guru

Sounds good to me, have you tried the Android Outlook app?

neilm

Yes- unfortunately it is very poor. Configurability is not good and it randomly loses credentials. That was the reason I raked out my old Touchdown account- happily the license is perpetual and even worked with the new Touchdown HD app for tablets and high resolution phones. Now owned by Symantec so hopefully will be around a while !

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

fowljr

I've not had a problem with the Outlook app on Android. So that is strange. I found it to be pretty good, although I only ever use it in vanilla mode. The swipe to flag/delete is very useful...

neilm

I had the oft reported issues of failure to connect, random and frequent requests for credentials, no way to adjust sync settings, no editing of contacts, etc.

Too much hassle to persist with for me! Touchdown is orders of magnitude better but only works with Exchange accounts.

fowljr

Cool. I think I have used Touchdown in the past...

The Guru

Interesting to make a note of those comments for the future if I ever hit Android again. Is the built in OS mail client no good for working with Exchange?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this