Smartphone Gurus
Sign in to follow this  
The Guru

Workflow task management

The Guru

Based on the query posed here, this is a basic overview of how I manage tasks.

I use Toodledo (Silver) which allows me to use it on the web, as well as under W10M, iOS and Android.

I basically have categories for each aspect of my life I wish to manage; Home, Personal, Work, SPG, Movies, PC, Phones, Technology.

Within those I use Toodledo's priorities (Low, Medium, High, Top). I sort my working views by date then priority then subject.

I use all sorts of repeat values, from every x days, to every x weeks, bi-monthly, annually, etc. Toodledo is very powerful in that respect.

2Do is the best Toodledo app on iOS and Android. The app has sweet widgets on Android and Notification plugins on iOS.

You can of course do the exact same processes in Outlook (and Nine on Android), but you have less task flexibility concerning repeats. Nine synchronises very well with Outlook (Exchange) tasks but has slight restrictions on widget filter configuration.

fowljr

Thanks D.

So, you do mainly use the categories for breaking tasks into 'projects' as such, my thoughts are always on how to manage tasks in a hierarchy, something like this...

Area --> High Level Task --> Sub Tasks

So matching this I would have:

Delivery --> BAU --> Design & Build --> Sub Tasks

Delivery --> BAU --> Operational Support --> Sub Tasks

Delivery --> Software Innovation --> Next Generation EMB --> Sub Tasks

As this is pretty much the way my programmes of work/goals. Maybe I'm just over complicating it?

The Guru

Categories for projects yes, but the sub-tasks are difficult as with Toodledo you only have one level of Sub-tasks

You could of course have Categories like:

Delivery:BAU:Design & Build

Or you may need to look at the Outlines section which does give hierarchial features, but for those you'd need to use the official Toodledo app for Android. See here:

https://www.toodledo.com/info/android.php

For those features (I think) you'd need a Silver Subscription, which is what I have. You could not do that sort of complex planning in Exchange.

The Guru

No probs, been using Toodledo for about 10 years now, awesome system. Keep me posed in which way you decide to move!

neilm

Looks as if MSFT might also be entering the ToDo fray according to Paul Thurrott

Still pure speculation at the moment, but could be interesting!

The Guru

Yeah I know, and I'll bet there won't be an option to hide completes tasks or set up / manage complex repeats. Based on MSFT history with phones.

fowljr

Hmmmm. Looks interesting...

Ideally, any task management would have an MS Exchange/Outlook tie-in as it would be for work and be most useful on my work laptop. As you know, we're pretty locked down therefore not all apps are available...

The Guru

In that case you haver to use tasks in Exchange and maybe access mobile wise via Nine?

fowljr

Yes, the lack of hierarchical abilities in Outlook Exchange is a problem. All access is locked down to Windows Phones now or Good for Enterprise on Android and iOS, and as we know, Good, isn't all that good! :wink:

The Guru

I'm lucky in that I've never had to endure Good. If you are restricted to use Exchange tasks you could get creative with categories.

fowljr

I have tried categories in Exchange before, but always end up in a mess! Lol

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this