Smartphone Gurus
buyabrick

New phone wanted..?

buyabrick

Hello guys I am new to this forum and I am just looking for some advice on choosing the best phone for my requirements. My dad is looking for a new phone, he is not very tech savy but he would like an internet phone so he needs something that is fairly modern but easy to operate. He also has fairly poor eyesight. Any advice or recomendations would be appreciated.

tonybro

Hi buyabrick, :welcome1:

A couple of questions here when you say internet phone: -

What sort of connection to the internet does he require - at home?, out and about?

What sort of usage is he going to make of it? A bit of web surfing? Some e-mail? Facebook? Twitter? etc...

Size? Does he have large or small hands?

How bad is his eyesight?

Cheers,

Simon

I would recommend him to check out a Windows Phone, such as the Lumia 550 or Lumia 640.

I gave my grandmother a Lumia 520 around two years back and she still loves it. She had problems using dumb-phones and even other smartphones which were too complicated to use. But the Windows Phone was perfect for her and she now manages to send SMS (yes it was that bad before she got the new Windows Phone), use the camera and even browse the internet (although she rather use her desktop PC for that). And that's because the Windows 10 user interface is easy to understand and easy to use. The start screen uses big and visible blocks or live tiles, similar to the Windows 10 start menu use, so its really easy to find what you're looking for, be it internet, your contacts, sms, or camera.

buyabrick
On 20/12/2016 at 8:42 PM, tonybro said:

Hi buyabrick, :welcome1:

A couple of questions here when you say internet phone: -

What sort of connection to the internet does he require - at home?, out and about?

What sort of usage is he going to make of it? A bit of web surfing? Some e-mail? Facebook? Twitter? etc...

Size? Does he have large or small hands?

How bad is his eyesight?

Cheers,

Thanks Tony,

Yes it would be wifi mainly but some 3g/4g would be needed occasionally. Web surfing, email and light facebook browsing. He has sausage fingers so it would be large hands I would say. He has about 50% vision in one eye and 25% in the other. Any advice is appreciated..?

buyabrick
On 21/12/2016 at 8:09 PM, Simon said:

I would recommend him to check out a Windows Phone, such as the Lumia 550 or Lumia 640.

I gave my grandmother a Lumia 520 around two years back and she still loves it. She had problems using dumb-phones and even other smartphones which were too complicated to use. But the Windows Phone was perfect for her and she now manages to send SMS (yes it was that bad before she got the new Windows Phone), use the camera and even browse the internet (although she rather use her desktop PC for that). And that's because the Windows 10 user interface is easy to understand and easy to use. The start screen uses big and visible blocks or live tiles, similar to the Windows 10 start menu use, so its really easy to find what you're looking for, be it internet, your contacts, sms, or camera.

Thanks Simon I will check out the Lumia 520 if your gran can give it a bash someone who is in the previous generation should have no excuses.

GustavoWoltmann

I suggest you to go for Samsung mid-range smartphone. It will be the best option for your father.

buyabrick

THat is a coincedence we did go for a Samsung in the end they do one with quite a large screen and it has really helped him.

neilm

That's good news- if he or you have any queries about how it operates, just let us know! 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.