Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tonybro

This little fella was putting on a show today....

26 posts in this topic

Went for a walk late morning around our usual haunt and the Kingfisher was out and about again.

Bold as brass and unphased by the watchers/photographers, he just sat there watching for little fish. A few weeks ago I saw him catch one.

We have another one here closer to home but he moves about various perches so not always easy to catch him.

Kingfisher001.jpg

Very jealous mate. No Kingfishers around here, we've only seen them when visiting the Yorkshire Dales. Awesome birds though!

Such moments of nature make you stop and wonder what life is all about.

Indeed, amazing how much pleasure a few flying jewels can bring!

I was making a coffee this morning and now this has arrived in the garden...

I didn't get chance to change lenses or anything so not the best picture after cropping in and having to shoot through a window.

Greater Spotted Woodpecker. :o

Woodpecker.jpg

Oh WOW Very very jealous, I've never seen one at all, seen a green but that was it :)

He came back about an hour later too!

Nice pictures Tony!

We have a few different birds around at the moment- occasionally a Green Woodpecker and even less often a Spotted Woodpecker. We do have 'gang's of Long Tailed Tits that come in droves then disappear and lots of Blue and Great Tits, plus a solitary Pied Wagtail. It's costing us a fortune in peanuts and mealworms, but worth it :)

On a different subject, last Summer in Umbria we were a little later arriving than usual, and found the figs were getting fully ripe in the three trees around our farm cottage. Apparently badgers love ripe figs and we were delighted to see two adult females and a younger one come quite regularly near to our terrace. I managed to get this video of one of them!

We also saw a hare, some foxes and a Pine Marten but no chance to take pictures!

Love the badger, Neil.

We get all the tits too - great, blue and a gaggle of about 9 long-tails - they are funny when they all turn up.

We have the Herons, Buzzards, Owls, Jays, Nuthatch, Robins, Wrens, Thrush too.

There is something cute about badgers!

The most Long Tails we have been able to count at once has been 14, but more usually 8 or 9. 

Buzzards are getting quite common in this part of Essex/Cambridgeshire, and we now also quite often see Red Kites. Too far away to photograph unfortunately, or they catch us without a camera!

Hmm very jealous! Is this your own holiday cottage Neil?

I've been chased by badgers (when younger and out at night), the only wild life we have round here are scores of Gold finches, various tits and a sparrow hawk which raids occasionally oh and a very rare hedgehog.

Love red kites and we see lots of them when down in Wales.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0