Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael_Mcr

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4013429)

11 posts in this topic

My SP3 has been trying to install this for several days.

It downloads, attempts install, fails, downloads, attempts install, fails, downloads, attempts install, fails, downloads, attempts install, fails, downloads, attempts install, fails, downloads, attempts install, fails, downloads, attempts install, fails, .....

.... and so on. Whenever i boot the SP3, it quickly gets red hot and the fan starts blowing and i am powerless to do much except watch the battery drain on the now unresponsive tablet. Have downloaded an Official MS script which they have hastily put together, in response to the many complaints about this patch borking devices. The script forces close on all MS update processes and tries again.

Generally, the Windows Update service just randomly freezes the SP3 and kills the battery for 10  - 15 minutes about once a month now.

There is just so much un-finished garbage code coming out of Redmond these days. I really cant see myself buying another Surface tablet, simply because of the uncontrollable and broken Windows Update Service. 

Meh !

All updated fine here on both x86 and x64 - Stream7, Pro 4, desktop etc.

Mike go into services (services.msc), stop Background Intelligent Transfer Service and Windows Update. Disable both. Reboot. Navigate to 'C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download' and empty the folder (or delete the '\download' folder completely). Re-enable both services. Reboot. Check for Windows updates.

Should fix it as it sounds like a corrupted update download issue.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks D. 

I think that the MS Script stops  and restarts thise same services, so i will give your instructions a go tomorrow, as i am just off out for the night. 

No worries it should sort it as this is in effect the 'modern ui' version of the old batch file fixes, but they do not involve emptying the downloaded cache directory. I've done this of maybe 5-6 PCs that had issues and it's worked on them all so far.

Thanks D - that fixed it.

It got rid of all the old updates and it has just downloaded and installed Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4015438), which I understand is  bug-fixed replacement for KB4013429 that was released today.

Not a problem, glad we got you sorted out :)

I am almost tempted to now leave the Windows Update service disabled, and just enable it at convenient times to bring it all up to date. 

The issue with the SP3 is that big updates just randomly render it red hot, unresponsive and with a rapidly draining battery - often when you least need it to!  

You could, for me my SP2 runs cool enough and that poor beast is getting the Insider Fast Builds thrown at it.

The thermal management is a bit weird with the SP3, which i think is down to the metal unibody type design. Like the HTC unibody thin metal phones (so M7 onwards) It mostly runs cool or even cold to the touch, but will very quickly get quite warm and then quickly cool again when it is doing any real activity. My HTC One is the same - usually cool to the touch, but then becomes toasty for a minute or so.when properly busy.

I suppose its the price to pay for having a thin design - the metal body is also the processor heatsink.

The main irritation with Windows Update is that there is no "Pause" button; once its off and running that is that and the device becomes slow and hot. I have opted for deferred updates, but its not really a solution.

Perhaps the MS coders could follow real life Enterprise protocols and incorporate a button into the Windows Update screen labelled "Not Now, I'm Busy" or even "WHAT ??... You want to do that Now ?? - You must be joking, you know its then end of month ... :o

LOL such pause featured are coming in the Creators Build :) IIRC of course.

Trying to get my main PC on the Insider list but it will not link in, annoying as I don't want to go the ISO route!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0