Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boz

News: Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ revealed! Plus release date and specifications!

39 posts in this topic

The Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ have been revealed by Samsung, and wow what phones they are too! They come with a host of new gizmos including Bixby the latest in voice control.

I really like them but I'll probably hold out for the Note 8. The Carphone Warehouse are listing them as being available for delivery on the 20th April. I just hope they fare better than the Galaxy Note 7!!

For full details including specifications please go to the link here.

View full article

Or for a quick overview of the specs:

Galaxy S8

• Size: 148.9 x 68.1 x 8mm
  • Weight: 152g
  • 5.8-inch Infinity Super AMOLED curved display with 2960 x 1440 resolution (571 PPI)
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor or Exynos 8895 8895 processor, depending on market
  • 4GB of RAM, 6GB of RAM in China
  • 64GB of UFS 2.1 storage, 128GB of UFS 2.1 storage in China
  • microSD support up to 256GB
  • 12-megapixel F/1.7 camera with autofocus and optical image stabilization, Quick Launch and Bixby support
  • 8-megapixel F/1.7 front camera with autofocus, Quick Launch, and Bixby support
  • Iris scanner
  • Fingerprint sensor
  • Heart rate sensor
  • IP68 water and dust proof certification
  • Bluetooth 5.0
  • Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac with dual band support
  • GPS, Glonass
  • USB Type-C
  • 3.5mm headphone jack
  • 3,000 mAh battery with fast-charging, wireless charging, and battery saving modes
  • Android 7.0 Nougat with Samsung UX on top

Galaxy S8+

• Size: 159.5 x 73.1 x 8.1mm
  • Weight: 173g
  • 6.2-inch Infinity Super AMOLED curved display with 2960 x 1440 resolution (529 PPI)
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor or Exynos 8895 8895 processor, depending on market
  • 4GB of RAM, 6GB of RAM in China
  • 64GB ofUFS 2.1 storage, 128GB ofUFS 2.1 storage in China
  • microSD support up to 256GB
  • 12-megapixel F/1.7 camera with autofocus and optical image stabilization, Quick Launch and Bixby support
  • 8-megapixel F/1.7  front camera with autofocus, Quick Launch, and Bixby support
  • Iris scanner
  • Fingerprint sensor
  • Heart rate sensor
  • IP68 water and dust proof certification
  • Bluetooth 5.0
  • Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac with dual band support
  • GPS, Glonass
  • USB Type-C
  • 3.5mm headphone jack
  • 3,500 mAh battery with fast-charging, wireless charging, and battery saving modes
  • Android 7.0 Nougat with Samsung UX on top

So if the Note 8 builds on these it will be awesome and that's what I'm holding out for! I guess the Note 8 will be based on the S8+?

The price is pretty high! I'm not sure I'm willing to spend £600+ on a phone these days... Although the Dex stuff interests me as ever! :-)

The Note 8 will be even higher I guess, but as this is likely to be my last new phone for a while (i.e. company closing next year) then I'll go for it while I can!

Fair point mate.

Lovely kit, but i have only had my phone for 7 months,so i will have to resist for a while longer i think.

A Note 8+ would be perfect for me, if they announce such a thing, as i still have funds set aside for some sort of Android mini tablet to replace my old Nexus 7. Might do the trick for use while travelling. 

Well rumours have been printed that there will be a next generation Note and Samsung have to recover from the Note 7 debacle so I can see it launching. Hopefully it'll be the machine I want as I have issues with the S8 fingerprint scanner location.

Just watched a video on the DeX functionality, it does look pretty impressive. As you know, I'm all in on the Phone as a Desktop type stuff, but I'm still not sure it warrants nearly £700, not to mention what the DeX dock will cost.

DeX does not interest me at all as I'd have very little use for it. The new screen / body style, retina login, camera changes and speed tempt me, but not until a Note version. As otherwise not enough changes from my S7 Edge.

If I'm honest, and I know I will be in the minority, but nothing here attracts me to the new devices... :-(

Dex is no real use if you can only run Android apps, even two side-by-side. At least with Continuum you can get UWP apps so more of a desktop scenario.

LOL not unsurprised there mate. Nothing tempts me either but that is from the S7e. DeX I quite agree, nowhere near as good as Continuum, but to the masses...... it is a lot faster though!

I'll agree. It's only the new emerging technologies like Continuum & DeX that interest me at the moment. The PhoneScape is a bit flat at the moment! :-)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0