Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoWoltmann

Best Wi-Fi Router

7 posts in this topic

Thanks Gustavo- interesting and useful list!

I have that Nighthawk from Netgear and it is mightily impressive.

However, I have just removed it tonight and replaced with my old Netgear router as for some unknown reason (four months of various tests, including the ISP) it causes packet loss in a single game my son plays competitively (CS:GO). No logic, not settings on the router unusual. Replaced with the old router, no packet loss at all, nothing. Only happens on CS:GO too, nothing else.

Anyone want to buy one? :wink:

Just don't play CS:GO on it...

I was tempted to get one but decided the standard BT Hub 6 is good enough.

There are definitely some oddities with specific routers. 

In my office I was using an Asus AC68U, with no alterations to advanced settings. As part if my use of a payment card terminal I have to perform quarterly security checks on the office IP address. 

For some reason the Asus router always fails these checks, so eventually I resorted to swapping to the old BT Hub while the checks were in progress- which always passed. I've now left the BT Hub in place all the time!

Nighthawk R7000 here. I bought it a couple of years ago to replace my BT HH4 as the coverage was dire and the difference was huge. BT gave me a HH5 last year when I went to Infinity so I tried I out. It was no better than the HH4.

I also had a problem with an online game on the PS4. I fixed it by turning off all the clever stuff like QOS and tuning for gaming and that fixed it. I figured that with 76MB download speed I would just the the router work without trying to load balance or prioritise packets and it works perfectly now. 

Tried that Gilps, no QoS or any prioritisation but CS:GO just drops packets. All my other games, PC (x3), XBOX One (x2) all fine...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0