Smartphone Gurus

fowljr    340
fowljr

I'm working in London today so thought I would try out the premise of mobile road-warrior. I'm sitting in one of our London offices armed with only my Lumia 950XL, a Microsoft Foldable Universal Keyboard, a Micriosoft Wireless Display adapter, a Bluetooth Headset & a couple of USB-A to USB-C cables.

Oh yes, I also have the OnePlus 3 with me as my back-up phone!

My first vision was that I wouldn't be able to find a monitor that had HDMI input available... But luckily, there are a few LG's that have HDMI. The second was that I forgot a USB extension cable to enable me to plug the Microsoft Wireless Display adapter into a USB port as the monitors don't have them. Luckily, someone had one here!!

Because we use Windows Phones at work, I've got the Lumia 950XL provisioned on our company infrastructure, so I am connected via the VPN for web and using the Outlook People, Email & Calendar clients for PIM. I can also access my Onenote files via the VPN as I have them stored in Onedrive for Business.

So far it is all working fine. I am sitting here typing this post on the setup.

One difficulty I have had is using the 950XL as a mouse. I don't notice that the keyboard has popped up some of the time and garbage appears on the screen. I can't seem to find a setting to disable the keyboard on the 950XL whilst I have the Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard attached. Using it as a mouse hasn't been comfortable for me, I wish I'd brought the Microsoft Wedge Mouse along, but it was one less thing to carry and everything else fitted in my coat pockets! :-)

THe Microsoft foldable keyboard is a little cramped, but it is usable and I've got better as the day has gone on! :-)

One other thing is that it has been difficult to keep the 950XL charged. I'm using a port on one of the PC's not he bank of desks here, but it doesn't seem to push out enough charge, as you would expect. So bringing the 950XL's charger may have been a better bet.

I have also had issues with the Mobile Edge browser and accessing some of our internal sites, again, I guess you would expect this as it is the mobile version rather than the full version (or am I wrong here because of OneCore or the shared code-base?).

One thing really stands out, I wish there was a UWP version of Skype for Business!!! We use this for telephony & collaboration at work, so that has been a bit of a challenge as the app will only run on the phones screen. Maybe I'll put that in as some feedback to Microsoft!

All in all, a very workable solution that has saved me from lugging my laptop & backpack into London today!

The Guru    1,458
The Guru

It can work very well, even better with the display dock - did you not take that with you Jim?

tonybro    371
tonybro

Yes, using the dock is more viable with all its USB, HDMI etc. ports....

The Guru    1,458
The Guru

Hmm I wonder if it will do, anything with my S7.

fowljr    340
fowljr

I didn't have a bag, so the keyboard, cables & wireless adapter fitted into my coat pocket! :-)

The dock would have been a little heavy. I was meeting friends for a few beers later in the evening!

The Guru    1,458
The Guru

Fair enough then Jim it did seem to serve it's purpose.

fowljr    340
fowljr

It certainly did. As mentioned in the post, I found using the 950XL as a mouse to be the hardest thing!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this