Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neilm

News:Microsoft launch Surface Laptop and new version of Windows 10

11 posts in this topic

At an event in New York yesterday, Microsoft quietly announced what could amount to two quite important products. 

First, they unveiled a new format in the Surface line of products- the Surface Laptop. This one is a fully fledged laptop without a detachable screen. It follows the usual design style for Surface products with a brushed aluminium case and low profile keys. The screen is a 13.5" high resolution 'pixelsense' touchscreen and processors are either Core i5 or Core i7 with 128GB or 256GB of storage. It works with all the current Surface accessories such as the Display Dock and Surface Pen.

This device is being aimed at the educational sector and is a direct competitor to the Macbook Air, which is heavier, of lower spec, non touchscreen and more expensive. The Surface Laptop is expected to start at around £800 in UK when released in mid June. Educational users will be able to get a 10% discount.

One of the talking points about the Surface Laptop is that it runs a new version of Windows by default- Windows 10 S. The 'S' apparently stands for 'Store' as this is a restricted version of Windows produced with the educational sector in mind. Although fully capable of running all Windows programs (unlike Windows RT with which some have compared it) it will only be able to run apps obtained from the Windows Store. This is an attempt to increase security and performance. The Surface Laptop can be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro for $49 though the upgrade is free until the end of the year. 

At the same time, Microsoft have also upgraded the Store versions of its Office products to full desktop capability- until now the Store versions were based on the old RT core with limited functionality. 

We do wonder whether the advent of Windows 10S could be a precursor to a revival of other products such as the Surface Phone. Designed very much with lower performance devices in mind it could fit very happily with a handheld device. 

Looking promising!

View full article

It is a sweet device but way too expensive for me alas.

Nice, but with a Surface Pro and Surface Pro 4 I don't need one.

Aside: I just ordered my replacement work device too today - gone for Surface Pro 4, 2.3GHz i5, 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM. Replacing an older Lenovo laptop.

I find that I don't need one either... I'd like a Surface Pro 4 at work though! 😉

Being Microsoft's largest global licensing partner and big European CSP partner helps - we sell a lot of them and consume a lot too - lot of them used internally...

We also use and sell Surface Hubs too. They can be good fun once you get used to using one.

I've really gone off MS kit, love the quality but they seem to have a limited support window. My SP2 is not that old, and no firmware support for a good while now.

The Surface Pro 4's are supposed to be on our desktop portfolio now, but I've not seen it in our ordering system yet!

3 hours ago, The Guru said:

I've really gone off MS kit, love the quality but they seem to have a limited support window. My SP2 is not that old, and no firmware support for a good while now.

This.

After MS did its u-turn on its promised commitment to W10M and the retail consumer, i made a hard policy decision to never spend another penny with Microsoft, if at all avoidable.

I still feel a bit shafted tbh, after buying the Lumia 950 and then seeing it quietly dropped so soon after launch was just the final straw for me.

Android all the way now and i will replace the SP3 with a device from a different vendor when the battery finally dies. I also have to say that i am not impressed with the way Windows 10 is going either. The underlying OS is getting better, but there is way too much push advertising and integration for stuff like Xbox for me.

Just updated to the Creators edition and it is staggering the number of new services that are on by default and needed slaying, to get the idle time RAM consumption down.

Got to agree there on the support front. I'm now a HP or Lenovo (and maybe Dell) man. Simple enough to turn off the advertising. What annoys me is I can see the advertising been in the Home version of the OS but that should be turned off on the Pro license IMHO.

I have an 8gb desktop and after updating to Creators edition ( or whatever its called) it was using 33% of RAM and 10% cpu at idle from a fresh boot...

... bit of lockdown on services.msc soon bought it back into line and a more reasonable 20% RAM at idle and 1 or 2% cpu.

New fangled "Gaming Mode" seems to be all but useless too. Oh for the days of MS-DOS, when you made a gaming boot floppy with carefully allocated RAM and SoundBlaster "SETBlaster" commands ... Happy Days ... LOL

Wow! On the Creators update here and I typically run with around 4% CPU and 46% RAM. Mind you that is with Outlook, Opera, Bitdefender and and my usual 'working' apps running.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0