Smartphone Gurus
Sign in to follow this  
neilm

Hello to Surface Bluetooth Keyboard- then goodbye!

Michael_Mcr    69
Michael_Mcr

That's not good at all Neil and i imagine very frustrating.

Last year i bought the wired Logitech G810 Gaming keyboard (which fortunately doesn't look like a "gaming" keyboard), but has decent mechanical keys, backlighting and a very usefull windows volume roller wheel. Its a great all round Windows keyboard.

I have bought quite a lot of Logitech stuff over the years and its a brand i really trust. 

The Guru    1,458
The Guru

Yep it has to be Logitech all the way for me these days!

neilm    851
neilm
On 2017-6-14 at 07:21, tonybro said:

I can borrow it and satisfy myself first and pass to Daron on his return. I can deliver to Daron.

Thanks, Neil.

Neil, keyboard has arrived safely thanks. I'll give it a whirl and report back findings. With your agreement, I'll drop it in to Daron when he's back.

That's good on both counts. I'd be interested to see if you need to disable power saving on the BT receiver if it isn't already disabled. Also seeing the effect of starting a new sentence after 20m inactivity and whether the capital registers.

Without changing anything (i.e. out of box experience) on either keyboard or Surface Pro 4, everything appears to be OK. There is small lag (30ms or so) when I go back to the keyboard but other than that it seems fine. I will check your specific detail about caps after coming back to it.

I generally wake the device by moving the mouse so I can see the screen before commencing typing, I don't know if that is an issue. I am also using Microsoft Sculpt BT mouse too, I don't know if that is having an effect by stopping the BT going to sleep. I'll test a few combinations.

Nice keyboard though. :-)

I was also using the Sculpt BT mouse, and it worked fine even when the keyboard connection failed. 

tonybro    371
tonybro

OK, here's some results of my testing, not that I've had much 'play' time recently...

Surface Pro 4, patched and BIOS updated, no tweaks to any of the BT or Power Saving settings: -

Quick testing to see if I am experiencing the same issues with this keyboard as Neil.

Leaving keyboard now 08:29

Returning to keyboard 10:20 - without touching the mouse but waking the device up and trying to type a capital letter failed. I had to move the mouse and then it immediately typed the capital letter. This was on battery power, not mains.

Tapping the space bar to bring the device out of blank screen immediately allowed me to type a capital. This was on mains power so not asleep, just blank screen.

Seemed to perform like this consistently and I can live with that.

So, if you want to sell, Neil - give me a price... :wink:

neilm    851
neilm

Thanks Tony- that is good feedback.

It leads me to suspect that there may be issues with the Bluetooth on the SP3, especially as the Sculpt Mouse sometimes fails to connect at startup. 

Your 'capitals' experience is interesting- moving the mouse before typing never worked for me on the SP3- I had to wake the keyboard as well to get the first keypress to actually register. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this