Smartphone Gurus
Sign in to follow this  
The Guru

News: Windows 10 Mobile will remain on Feature2 indefinitely, no Night Light planned

The Guru

In the Windows Insider’s monthly webcast (via Neowin), Microsoft addressed the question of Windows 10 and feature2. While feature2 was initially thought to be a temporary branch for Windows Mobile, is turning out to be its resting place. In the same vein, Night Light was also revealed to not be on the roadmap for Windows 10 Mobile at this time.That could change, but it’s unlikely. Much like Windows Phone 7.8, feature2 updates don’t appear to be bringing any new features to the OS, simply bug fixes and copyright date updates.

Microsoft is allegedly rebooting Windows 10 Mobile once more with a new operating system which will bring a new user experience to future mobile devices – should the firm so choose. While it was not entirely clear whether Microsoft would be bringing this new software build to older devices in the past, it appears that Windows 10 Mobile as it is now may have reached the end of the line.

[Source]

View full article

tonybro

Two elements here: -

I think a strategy is at play behind the scenes with Windows 10 on Arm and Composable Shell (C-Shell). This would be a powerful proposition for power users and some others in that a number of devices of various form factors (desktop, laptop, tablet, phone) could all have the same application set, performing consistently just presented according to the device-type.

Secondly, this would, in theory, allow Windows 10 to run on the existing recent hardware such as a 950XL or HP Elite X3, however, they will not use this route. I expect them to release a Surface Phone and then use the OEMs such as HP to continue the attack on the Enterprise client space with appropriate NEW devices.

I'd buy into it. The problem with the various OS and form factors out there today forces compromises sometimes. Apple, Android devices are not particularly great WORK devices (I know people use them for such! No flames please). Work becomes efficient when the experience is consistent and the data consistent across devices - the leave an app running on your desktop and pick it up on your tablet and then maybe have it on a phone in a consistent manner. Some have tried similar, I think MS has the components to brew this thing together to work, it just might end up again as too many cooks!

The Guru

From my side of things I see a last refresh of the platform on mobile. If they miss it this time it has to be it for them. 

I still don't see the apps I need appearing there, so we'll have to see.

Michael_Mcr
17 hours ago, tonybro said:

Two elements here: -

I think a strategy is at play behind the scenes with Windows 10 on Arm and Composable Shell (C-Shell). This would be a powerful proposition for power users and some others in that a number of devices of various form factors (desktop, laptop, tablet, phone) could all have the same application set, performing consistently just presented according to the device-type.

Secondly, this would, in theory, allow Windows 10 to run on the existing recent hardware such as a 950XL or HP Elite X3, however, they will not use this route. I expect them to release a Surface Phone and then use the OEMs such as HP to continue the attack on the Enterprise client space with appropriate NEW devices.

I'd buy into it. The problem with the various OS and form factors out there today forces compromises sometimes. Apple, Android devices are not particularly great WORK devices (I know people use them for such! No flames please). Work becomes efficient when the experience is consistent and the data consistent across devices - the leave an app running on your desktop and pick it up on your tablet and then maybe have it on a phone in a consistent manner. Some have tried similar, I think MS has the components to brew this thing together to work, it just might end up again as too many cooks!

I cant disagree with any of this Tony, but i think that most employees wont go back to the days of carrying two phones around, to being the guy saddled with "the pager" or "the office phone". They love their own iphone or Android device, with all their apps and games and social media.

A corporate system has to encompass BYO, unless it, and the employee, is so mission critical or mission technical that it becomes a job requirement.

Honestly, firms will not want the bad tag of being the company that forces you to carry two phones around !!

• Like 1

The Guru

Yeah BYOD is the way we are moving at work on Android alas.

fowljr

We have BYOD across all platforms, but for Windows 10 mobile and older Windows Phones it is by request now.

I use Blackberry Work on my Android phone and my 950XL is configured for work use as they are also issued internally, which give me VPN access on the phone, something I can't get on my Android phone. I have been using Continuum to leave my lappy behind.l and just use the phone with either the dock or the Microsoft Wireless adapter I have. The dock and charger will fit into my coat pocket, although not so good during the summer, so a small bag... Wireless adapter is easier, but does mean I need to carry a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. So pain points on each method, but it does work!!

The Guru

I don't have a company phone myself, they don't pay me enough for that loss of my time :)

fowljr

Well, it's mainly used during work time these days... 😊

The Guru

I'd still want a massive pay rise for the inconvenience of it all.

fowljr

It's one less bill for me as well! 😉

Michael_Mcr

At least we have moved on from the days when the New Boy / Contractor would be informed that they would have to carry the "Office Phone".

Then someone would rummage around in a desk or filing cabinet and produce a 3 year old Nokia with a cracked screen and no charger...

A similarly specced laptop would then follow suit, complete with knackered battery and no charger .....along with a lecture about how you cant use your own gear for "Security Reasons".... :shock:

fowljr

Hahaha yes, once upon a time we had a 'pool' phone & laptop for callout.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this