Smartphone Gurus
Sign in to follow this  
The Guru

iPhone 6S - back to production OS

The Guru    1,458
The Guru

Well I've decided to take my iPhone 6S off the iOS 11 developer beta as I'm finding so many things that don't work. Alas of course I didn't take a backup of it before going onto iOS11 so I'm doing a full factory restore back to the production OS.

At least it gives me the change to give it a really good clean out and install only the apps I'll actually use on it!

tonybro    371
tonybro

I've just fired up my 950XL again and loving the interface after being on Apple this last couple of months. The inconsistencies in the interface and applications just does my head in. Also simple things like blocking a caller are so convoluted or partially hidden its a royal pain.

So much so I am going to take the 950 on holiday not the iPhone.

The Guru    1,458
The Guru

LOL - not. Well my 'easy change' back to iOS10 was not so easy. It turned out it is not possible to go through the usual recovery process to get from v11 to v10. I ended up in a situation where iTunes went through the recovery process and loaded iOS 9.x.x, rebooted the phone which went straight back into recovery mode. Spent a good hour adn a half looking to get it sorted myself prior to ringing a nice foreign lady at the Apple helpdesk. 

She insisted I went through the process again with her on the phone, and of course it repeated. She said then she could not help but gave me the iOS developers phone number. I then rang that and got a very brief 'Apple is closed' recorded message. Not happy.

In the end I joined the Apple beta testers forum and found a post of there which advised you can only go from iOS 11 developer to iOS 10.3.2 beta and have to do it via a special .ipsw recovery file. That worked fine and I could then start to rebuild the iPhone.

On top of that I've had to rebuild the phone from scratch as the backups on the PC had corrupted (and I'd not noticed).

Anyway nearly there now and I have a nice clean iPhone with no crappy apps on there :)

Oh and during that process the Samsung OS advised me that I had duplicated contact entries (O365 & Skype) and did I want to merges them - alas I said yes and it then proceeded to delete the O365 entries. Shriek!

Yesterday was not a good day!

P.S. And if Windows Phone was still a decent contender I'd still be using it too!

fowljr    340
fowljr

I still use my 950XL every day here!! Love it, just sad (well not that sad! :wink: ) that I need an Android phone as well to get the apps that I want!! 

The Guru    1,458
The Guru

Well I've switched it to being my daily driver today to see how it goes - Carplay it working well. but a lot of issues on working with the S3...

fowljr    340
fowljr

iPhone integration with the watch not so good then?

The Guru    1,458
The Guru

No, very painful. Paid for Watch faces can't be bought as against Apple policy, watches load to the watch very slowly (like 5-10 minutes a watch), no two way interaction (i.e. accepting MS Authenticator prompts), notifications don't always vibrate. So I'll continue to see how it goes, but likely I'll not last much longer.

fowljr    340
fowljr

Blimey, didn't think it would be that bad mate. But then again it is Apple I guess & they want you to buy an Apple watch.

I keep annoying my daughter by calling hers an iWatch.

The Guru    1,458
The Guru

Indeed, it was a lot worse than I expected it to be. It was a positive joy when I switched back at the weekend. Amazing how one gets used to using it for all sorts.

fowljr    340
fowljr

Need to start. Thread on watch use mate. I'd like to get a view on why you are using it for? Or did you :wink:

The Guru    1,458
The Guru

Start a new thread mate and I'll come back to you with what you need.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this