Smartphone Gurus
Sign in to follow this  
johnston411

Evening all

johnston411

Hello folks 😀

Been a while, just been having a look for how long but can't find the button to see my posts. I'll blame the iPhone work have forced upon me for my inability to navigate the site 😉

Since I last popped over a few things have happened on the work, life and tech front for the better and life is good.

Got some new toys for my 40th recently. Was treated to an echo, it's voice remote, a Google home, a  chromecast, a smart looking smartwatch and a plunge speaker.

The Google home has ended up in the kitchen and works a treat. Mostly used for music and the occasional attempt at casting to the chromecast (which is carp).

The echo is in the conservatory. It's close enough to the window that you can tell it to Bluetooth spotify to the plunge speaker in the hot tub.

Really getting into this digital assistant stuff but too early to tell which I prefer.

Hope life is treating you all well 👍

The Guru

Glad to see you online with is Paul! Fully Echo'ed up here, and loving the system! Smartwatch is a Gear S3 for me.

It'd be interesting to hear which you find the most useful the Echo or the Home?

tonybro

Hi Paul, I still see your posts on Twitter (the only social media I look at - use would be too strong a word!). Good to hear everything is fine.

No smartwatch here - proper watches only + Fitbit Charge HR.

Loads of devices as usual but, like you, finding iOS a real struggle due to inconsistencies in interface and missing functionality.

johnston411

IOS works well enough for day to day stuff. Calls, calendar messaging etc all fine. Siri is good for hands free in the car but I try and avoid any interaction while driving apart from skipping music. 

Alexa and google home seem to function pretty much the same. The Google home can be irritating if the music is loud as it struggles to hear "ok google". Not really had that with alexa as the speaker used is not the internal.

Will look into the home control side at some point with the light bulbs and thermostat stuff. 

The Guru

Yeah when you get into the Home Automation I'd really be interested to hear how you get on!

johnston411

It's a shame the chromecast is so flakey. When it works it's pretty cool telling the home to cast stuff to it. 

I'll buy a fire stick at some point to see how prime works with alexa. 

The Guru

What sort of things can you cast to it, audio only obviously?

We've got a Firestick but unless I've missed a trick the Echo does not integrate with it? Mind you as the Echo is in the dining room and nowhere near the lounge it'd not be that much good for us LOL.

Michael_Mcr

Hi Paul, good to see you back with us.

neilm

Hi Paul

Late to the party here, but as the others have said, welcome back to SPG :)

Good to see you still have the tech bug! 

johnston411

Evening chaps,

The tech bug is here to stay with me. Just a bit bored of smartphones these days. The problem with them is they are great, they just work. Where's the fun in that :wink:

The Guru

Indeed, not like the old days is it?

fowljr

Nope, it is not like the old days and I think it is that, that I miss! :-)

Still a tech-head though! 

Hey Paul, great to see you online mate. A hot-tub eh? Living the high-life mate! :-)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this