Smartphone Gurus
Sign in to follow this  
SupremeAC

Recreating the Winphone 'Glance' screen in Android

The Guru

How many of us do you want for testing?

SupremeAC

I'm still a ways off.  Anyone who's up for it is welcome.  If I find a way to send the app.  It's all very new to me.  I can export the app to work independently from Tasker on my phone, but haven't looked into how to share it yet.  And the app is still incomplete.  I have fallen in a loop where I keep thinking of added functionality that I want to try to shoehorn in.  I'm currently working on a setting that will allow you to chose if you want to save your pictures by county, city, street or full adress.  I've got it mostly sorted out, but I still need to figure out how to store the picture in say the country folder or the full adress folder based on the current settings.  It's not so much that it's especially difficult to achieve, but I need to be able to clear my mind and focus on it for a longer period of time.

I've also come to realize that all android phones use the same path to store their pictures in, so that's convenient for me.

The Guru

Okay I think you can count me in when you are ready.

SupremeAC

Update time.

Pace of progress has dramatically decreased as professional issues have been getting the better of me and my spare time.  I have however been able to stitch things together into a first, working, example.  This is what I have so far:

- launch a simple homescreen where you can turn the app on and off, go to settings and 'exit to camera'
- on exit to camera the main camera app is launched
- Tasker checks your internal or external storage to find which folder in DCIM has been modified last, and thus presumable is the current folder for the main camear app to store images in.  The user has to set wether images are saved to internal or external storage manually, altough I could easily automate this.
- get your location, make a new folder if it's a new address
- copy new pictures in the main images folder to the location folder every 15 seconds

Things I'm working on or plan to include:
- getting the setting screens to behave properly.  Now they don't always disappear when you press a button.  I have no clue what's causing this.
- adding in functionality that checks if you are within a radius to a known location, to prevent duplicate folders with slightly differing adresses.  I have done most of the work for this, I just need to implement it.
- adding in functionality that will kill the task if you exit a certain radius from your location.  I have done most of the work for this.
- include a setting that allows you to save pictures according to country, city, street or full adress.  I have done most of the work for this.
- either locking screen orientation or adding a landscape view for my homescreen and settings.
- adding a setting that will delete the original image once it has been copied to the location folder.
- adding in commands to improve the user experience by preventing errors from showing.  Now if a folder is already made, it'll just flash an error message.  I'd need to add commands to check if a folder for certain adress exists, and if so have Tasker just not attempt making said folder.

I'll look into how to export and share these things if anyone is interested in a pre-alpha build.

neilm

That's impressive stuff SAC !

I would certainly be willing to test this in due course on my S8

The Guru

Sounding more and more impressive!

SupremeAC

Ok, so I've exported my Tasker task to an app.  Surprisingly, it's working pretty well.  Here's a link for those who'd like to try it out:

http://gofile.me/28dbl/byVNqZ5Ky

The link will expire on the 16th.  You're all much more tech savvy than me, but don't forget to change your settings to allow apps not downloaded from the play store to be installed.

How it works:

• load the app and set it up.  once done, press 'exit to camera'.
  • once running, you can start taking pictures immediately.  In the mean time the app will be looking for your location.
  • once found, you'll get a permanent notification telling you that the app is running for the adress it found.
  • all images you take while at that location will be copied to a folder on your device.  These folders should show up in your picture gallery as well.
  • if you leave the area (current radius 30m), the notification will change and you'll be able to start 'geosorting' again from any location by pressing 'yes'
  • if the notification isn't showing, the app isn't running.

What doesn't work

• The level of detail thing doesn't work yet and sometimes causes problems because the buttons won't register.  If so just press back.  You'll get spammed with the homescreen a couple of times, but just keep pressing 'exit to camera'.
  • sometimes the app won't be able to get your location and it'll show your location as %Locresult1.  I'll need to change that so that it asks wether it should try again or give up.

What I'm/will be working on:

• basically just testing now.
  • I'll be sure to add in the 'level of detail' functionality once everything is running properly.
  • I'd like to add in a popup that asks if the location it found is correct, and if not allow you to manually change it. 
  • add in functionallity that checks if you're close by a known adress, to prevent duplicate folders with similar adresses.
  • add in a toggle so users can chose if they want to copy or move and delete their pictures. 
  • see if I can get it to save your images to SDcard.
  • get rid of the 'where do you store your images' screen.  I can easily automate this and then just ask you to confirm if correct (or don't bother with telling you).  It's easily done, I just haven't gotten around to it.
  • Maybe add in a 'dev mode' toggle so I can toggle all the little notifications I use while testing the app to see if everything is working properly
  • some kind of 'about' page with general information about how the app doens't use geotags, who made it, how you can contact me with issues, current version, ...
  • sprucing up the interface a bit and designing a logo.  I've already got something in mind.

So that's that.  If anyone tries this, please let me know what you think.

neilm

Great stuff. I will definitely try this in the next few days, and report back here. 

SupremeAC

One more thing: the app is probaby quite the battery drainer at the moment.  When active at a location it constantly alternates between checking for new pictures and checking if your current location is still within the set radius.  I had first set this loop to an interval of about once a minute, but for testing purposes I increased it to about 3 times a minute.  Once the app is nearer to finished, I'll probably play around with the interval a bit to see what the sweet spot it between immediate action and battery drain.

The Guru

Downloaded and we'll see if I get chance to test it later in the week.

SupremeAC

Experiencing some issues with the notifications.  This is something I added last minute, and apparently the notifications aren't terminated when my app closes (or crashes).  This then gives the false impression that the app is still tracking your pictures, when in reality it's not running at all.  I'm pretty close to having it solved.

The Guru

Ouch! I'll wait until the next revision is out then :)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this