Smartphone Gurus

fowljr

So, is anyone impressed by the new iPhones? :-) I can't say that I was 'wowed', but I will concede that the iPhone X looks nice. Nothing technically that we haven't seen before, so, not a bundle of innovation that I could see!

fowljr

At £999, I shan't be investing! :-)

neilm

Me neither!

The iPhone X will probably perform well given Apple's ecosystem but other aspects are no more than catch-up with Samsung. 

There has been quite a lot of disquiet about the loss of a fingerprint sensor as well- US security laws allow enforcement agencies to 'force' a user to unlock a device using biometrics, but not if using a lockscreen. There are also questions as to whether someone who is asleep can have their face 'read' by someone holding their phone, therefore being unlocked surreptitiously :)

The iPhone 8 range is looking a bit old hat next to the X but being (a little) cheaper will probably be successful. No real advances though.

The Apple TV gains 4k capability, but again only catching up the competition.

The Apple Watch adding 4G connectivity is interesting, especially with UK use in mind. Bearing in mind the poor battery life of the standard Watch, I wonder what the impact of cellular connections will have? Also Apple are promoting the fact that although it works independently of the phone it still uses the same mobile number (and therefore the same contract); currently this does not apply in UK as none of the operators support SIM/Number sharing; it will be interesting to see if EE as the exclusive initial partner will make some changes here. 

The Guru

Very meh to me. Thinner bezels but looking still thick compared to the Samsung machines. Face ID looked cool, bit to fail on the demo was not good. 

An 'asleep' unlock should not be possible as the user has to be gazing, that is eyes open.

Heard today that EE are charging £25 a month for the Watch connectivity on top of your usual tariff.

Before watching I was wondering if I'd be regretting ordering the Note 8, but nope..... 

The only thing Apple has for me is that CarPlay is so much better than AndroidAuto. Oh and for £1145 for the X with decent memory..... yeah right!

tonybro

If I am honest, I'm not really interested in any of them. Apple is dropping further behind in my view.

Wireless charging! I've only been using it on other devices for about 3 years...

Iris/face scanning been around for a while too.

No interest in Watch or TV either.

I'm not even impressed with Carplay either...

The Guru

Their Face ID system with the 3D mapping is pretty cool but will likely move on to other phones in the next couple of years. Carplay is a joy compared to the totally unreliable AndroidAuto.

The Guru

Hmm an interesting thought or two there. I just find cook so bland.

Michael_Mcr

In the absence of any available mad genius visionary to replace Steve Jobs, a large corp like Apple has to fall back to having  a steady eddy at the helm. 

I suspect that it will be like the Balmer years at MS, in that Cook will be kept in position so long as revenues stay strong, then he will be replaced. 

I do think that the days of Apple innovation died with Steve Jobs. Remember that when he returned after his enforced absence, they were struggling to compete and were turning out me-too products. One if his first moves was to bump Jonathan Ives to a prominent position to put design innovation as a forefront. 

The Guru

Indeed you could well be right there. Rare that guys like Jobs come around though.

SupremeAC

While I'm certainly not Apple man myself, I do enjoy commenting on their products.

The X comes at a large premium, for a technology with little real life use.  Unlocking through 3d mapping your face?  Emoticons that copy your facial expression?  If that's the best they can come up with, I don't see this tech going anywhere.  It's also the same tech we saw in the Xbox Kinect (same company who created it), shrunk down and repurposed for smartphones.  Look where the Kinect is now.

As far as Jobs is concerned, without wanting to be disrespectfull, he probably died a timely death.  There was no way he could keep up revolutionizing like he did, visionary or no visionary. 

tonybro

No one at Apple obviously rides a motorcycle. How the hell will you unlock you iPhone x when wearing a helmet?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.