Smartphone Gurus

neilm

Obviously not burglars either- how would you unlock one while wearing a balaclava :)

Mind you at those prices maybe they are burglars!

neilm
2 hours ago, SupremeAC said:

The X comes at a large premium, for a technology with little real life use.  Unlocking through 3d mapping your face?  Emoticons that copy your facial expression?  If that's the best they can come up with, I don't see this tech going anywhere.  It's also the same tech we saw in the Xbox Kinect (same company who created it), shrunk down and repurposed for smartphones.  Look where the Kinect is now.

Media interest and adulation for the '7' series was more muted than in the past, and this time a lot of the media are openly critical of the current releases, especially the iPhone 8 which fails to offer any significant advantage over the iPhone 7.  

Once the Synaptics screen- embedded fingerprint sensor was delayed due to technical issues, Apple and Samsung needed to find a quick alternative, and neither has been able to produce an equitable alternative and keep a full screen display. 

Michael_Mcr

The new iPhone hasn't lit my fires in any way. My other half's current iPhone feels quite dated to me. 

I am still getting good service from the HTC 10 a year on and will probably keep it a while longer as the battery is holding up fine and it still feels quick. 

Larger screen next time to help my aging eyes and fingers, so probably a Samsung Note or Pixel as the rumours are that Google are in the process of acquiring the struggling HTC corp, in order to have in-house production. 

The Guru

I'd not even considered folks like motorcyclists. Good point there Tony. 

I can definitely recommend the Note series now I'm a proud owner of one of them :)

neilm
1 hour ago, The Guru said:

I'd not even considered folks like motorcyclists.

It's a new for 2017 Apple safety feature- stops them texting while out on the road :)

• Like 1

Michael_Mcr

A new for 2017 Apple innovation, if i am to believe some of the "journalism" i am seeing, is the introduction of a 64 bit operating system in ios11.

Which is a breakthrough technology paving the way for faster computers, yada,  yada, yada .....

Meh !

• Like 1

bydandie

Aye, the phones are nowt special.  The one thing I will say is that the approach to privacy and utility wins for me with Apple over Android.  Plus the devices do get supported for a decent amount of time.  My girls 5s' are perfectly usable on iOS 11, which is quite cool given how old they are now.

neilm
20 hours ago, bydandie said:

Aye, the phones are nowt special. 

You do wonder if Apple may have shot themselves in the foot with releasing the iPhone 8 and iPhone X at the same time- they have immediately positioned the 8 as less than the 'ultimate iPhone', which in the past is what has driven a lot of sales. Many may consider sticking with the very similar 7 series until the benefits of the X series filter down in the next release.

The Guru

A lot of the iphone guys are not impressed. They tens ot own 7 series phones and the 8 series they feel is not enough of an upgrade for them. Nobody seems excited at all over the 'X', the 'failed' demo did not help and not one of them fancies the face ID system.

Michael_Mcr

'Er Indoors wants to change up her 6S and wasn't impressed with the 8 when she looked at it next to the 7. Not much difference in specs and no stand-out feature.

That's from a non-tech iphone fan. She wont consider Android and loves her iphone, but cant see the point of the 8, when the 7 is so much cheaper and when her 6s looks identical and is still performing strongly.

Boz
On ‎29‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 13:21, bydandie said:

Aye, the phones are nowt special.  The one thing I will say is that the approach to privacy and utility wins for me with Apple over Android.  Plus the devices do get supported for a decent amount of time.  My girls 5s' are perfectly usable on iOS 11, which is quite cool given how old they are now.

Funnily enough my girls have iPhone 5's too, they are the only phone that can be locked down for kids without buying an expensive app on Android to do so, you can't be too careful!

Personally I hate the whole kit and caboodle that is Apple but it works for my girls so that's all that matters.

The Guru

Yeah Apple do have the 'it just works' regimen going for them. CarPlay is really good (which annoys me as Android auto is terrible) but that sea of icons...... 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.