Smartphone Gurus
Sign in to follow this  
The Guru

News: Joe Belfiore says Windows 10 Mobile features and hardware are no longer a focus

The Guru

Microsoft's Corporate Vice President for Windows, Joe Belfiore, has today clarified the company's stance with Windows 10 Mobile and what it's currently doing in the mobile space. In a series of tweets on Twitter, Belfiore states that as an individual end-user, he has switched to Android, and that Windows 10 Mobile is no longer a focus for Microsoft.

Belfiore confirms what we have been reporting in the past; that from here on out, Microsoft will continue to service Windows 10 Mobile with bug fixes and security patches, mainly for the enterprise market who adopted Windows 10 Mobile for work. Microsoft is not planning to bring any new consumer facing features to Windows 10 Mobile, nor is it planning to release any new hardware.

As such, it's safe to assume that Windows 10 Mobile, and Windows phone in its current form, is "dead." Microsoft has now officially stated that it has no plans to continue developing new features for the platform, but will continue to support remaining users with bug fixes and patches through its feature2 branch.

Belfiore even explains why Windows phone is no longer the focus, citing a lack of apps as the main problem. Even after offering to pay for and build apps for third parties, the apps simply never came and as such users failed to adopt the platform in any major way.

So for now, Microsoft is working hard to bring the best of Windows and the Microsoft ecosystem to other mobile platforms. Just this week, Microsoft announced that it is bringing Edge to iOS and Android, along with improving Microsoft's now official Android launcher with further tie-ins with your Microsoft account.

Microsoft's new mobile play is to bring the Microsoft experience to users on other platforms, rather than expect users to make the switch. In reality, the majority of Windows users aren't Windows phone user, but rather iOS and Android users, hence why it makes more sense to bring the best of Windows to those devices instead.

Hopefully Belfiore's comments will ease the minds of the last few users who are still holding out for new features and focus for Windows 10 Mobile from Microsoft. Windows 10 Mobile has no real future, and consumers still clinging to the platform should really start looking elsewhere. With all that in mind, if Windows 10 Mobile is still perfect for you, then Microsoft is more than happy to keep you updated with security patches and bug fixes.

[Source]

View full article

neilm
13 hours ago, The Guru said:

Belfiore even explains why Windows phone is no longer the focus, citing a lack of apps as the main problem. Even after offering to pay for and build apps for third parties, the apps simply never came and as such users failed to adopt the platform in any major way.

That has to be one of the most disingenuous statements ever, and confirms the corporate BS that we have come to expect from Microsoft. 

They really started losing mobile focus when they cancelled the 'Windows Mobile' line but failed to introduce a successor in good time. This was compounded by the 'me too' move to a fully Store based software platform without the ability to load third party apps unless going through the tedious and complex developer unlocking process. They alienated a huge number of previously high profile Windows Phone developers in the process. 

Corporate indecision and an inability to settle on a stable code base further alienated developers who did not trust MSFT not to move the goalposts once again, and consumers who saw the consequent decline in software and hardware availability as good cause to jump ship. 

The Guru

I'll not disagree with any of your thoughts there Neil. We were there on both the public side, and half inside with the MVPs we had around at the time. Microsoft did what they do now which is go their own sweet way and neglect consumers. 

I'm not in the position that I'll buy their cloud offering (O365 for Business) and the Office products but I'll no longer trust any hardware platform that Microsoft supply, whether phone (if they re-enter the market). As far as I'm concerned I've been stung with the 930, 950XL, Surface RT and to a lesser extent the Surface Pro 2. The latter with no driver support after 18 months.

My decision has been made that if I need a new home machine I'll likely now go laptop or 2in1 instead of workstation, and will probably go Lenovo, Samsung or Dell. No more Microsoft hardware, oh and since the shenanigans inside HP have ruined their support system / ethos I'll no longer go down that route either.

Sad times.

tonybro

I'd stay away from Lenovo too - in fact all of the OEMs in their race to the bottom have caused their support to drop off a cliff. :-(

This is what MS don't 'get'. Hardware won't make you the margins but it sure as hell pulls through the other services/support - lose the hardware and you give the buyer NO reason to use your services.

MS had the clout and financial muscle to keep Windows Phone 10 rolling - it could have been the third OS but with a healthy 20% market share and adopted by Corporates/Enterprises (like the one I work for) with some pull through from consumers (techies!).

neilm
2 hours ago, The Guru said:

.....Surface RT and to a lesser extent the Surface Pro 2. The latter with no driver support after 18 months.

At least my 3 year old SP3 is still getting useful, regular updates!

1 minute ago, tonybro said:

I'd stay away from Lenovo too - in fact all of the OEMs in their race to the bottom have caused their support to drop off a cliff. :-(

Are there any OEMs you'd trust Tony? I was sort of considering a Surface Laptop when it comes time to update the SP3, but I'm wary of that route bearing in mind developments!

tonybro

The race to the bottom has stifled all support from all OEMs - most have outsourced it, including the warranty engineering services. I see it in the global bids that come across my desk - most global enterprises are now including more resellers in their hardware tendering process as they believe they can get better support that way.

Rumour is MS will drop Surface line new sales/development in 2019. Problem is none of the OEMs are close to getting anything out that is in any way comparable yet - HP have come close. If it was me and buying now, I would still buy Surface Pro/Laptop.

tonybro

There's just been a flurry of stories on the tech sites - bemoaning MS and their mobile strategy - some even pulling out direct quotes from MS stating if you don't have the device in the user's hand you ain't getting the services...

A point I made here about 30 minutes ago...

neilm

It is amazing that on SPG we are mainly either IT professionals or interested/knowledgable amateurs, and we have been discussing these issues and predicting the possible outcomes ever since the dumping of Windows Phone 6.1!

Why can't the big wigs see beyond the edge of their noses?  :)

tonybro

Politics and in-fighting mostly mean they can't see beyond their noses. That and they become institutionalised within the organisation - we do things this way and always will... :-(

Boz

We all knew this was going to happen so no real shock to me.

Joe Belfiore is already using an Android phone........ now that is ironic, and just a fortnight ago Bill Gates admitted the same!

tonybro

No shock from anyone here, Boz. Just dismay that MS have cocked it up again! They haven't learnt any  lessons over the years.

Xbox division keeps getting mooted as a possible sell-off as it is wholly consumer, nothing Enterprise in that whatsoever but they keep insisting they are not going to sell it. Well, we'll see... :wink:

The thing is now, MS is not only losing credibility they are now also losing the trust of their faithful. That's the real danger...

Michael_Mcr

I won't echo what I have said previously on SPG about my thoughts and opinions of MS. 

What I will say is that the SP3 will be kept in use as long as the battery does, but the future for me is self-build desktop pc, Android phone and Android tablet.

For some time now i have had a principle of not giving MS another penny, if at all possible, because of the money i lost buying into Windows 10 mobile with the Lumia 950,which i then had to replace in less than a year because of the lack of promised apps. 

Meh! 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this