Smartphone Gurus
Sign in to follow this  
The Guru

Samsung DeX arrived

The Guru

DeX.thumb.jpg.bcaa3393b49a9ebf59812b86f3efdf67.jpgWell my Samsung DeX arrived this morning. Seems a pretty decent bit of kit, alas not a lot of use at the moment as the power lead (USB A to C) is way too short for my desk and I'd need to sort out a USB mouse and  keyboard to give it a try.

So as soon as next months spending budget is freed up I'll be giving it a go after ordering a new cable. Decent range of connectors on the back, USB C for charging, full size HDMI, full network port and two USB2 ports for mouse and keyboard!

Already realised if you plug the Note 8 into the DeX you get prompted to run it in screen mirroring or DeX modes.

fowljr

Oooh very nice. I'll be very interested in how the Dex dock works D. Especially compared to Continuum, something I use regularly!!

The Guru

Screenshot_20171028-190315.thumb.jpg.6bcdf26a9d7e8aa5f1ccb8ab5860e63f.jpgWell I got the PC out and swapped cables over. Found my old MX Master mouse, and my Bluetooth Microsoft Portable keyboard and away we went. It was an okay experience, but not as good as I hoped, a lot of apps (like FB) didn't resize, and the Ultrawide resolution of my monitor was not supported.

Worst experience was with my email client Nine as that didn't resize very well at all. So likely only viable with core Samsung apps.

So cool technology and cool, but for me not that much use for me with the monitor.

Hmm if I disconnect the HDMI cable I can then use the DeX as a USB fast charger with Ethernet and mouse / keyboard. Mind you that is not quite as convenient as the Fast Wireless charger..... Now if the DeX supported Wireless charging that would be handy.

fowljr

Ahhhh, a shame that! I'll stick with Continuum then!! Although they are all limited experiences at the moment it would seem! I'd still like to give the Samsung version a go. Although the Hauwei Mate 10 Pro is offering a PC experience now as well.

The Guru

It did improve after loading Desktop Hub which gives the ability to have sizeable windows for most apps. but still a bit cumbersome to use, so not for me alas.

fowljr

I'd still be intrigued to pick up an S8 + DeX dock for a play when the pries drop a bit more!

The Guru

You can use the Continuum dock for the 950XL with the S8 / Note 8 if you want to play Jim.

fowljr

Ooooh, interesting. Just nee to get the funds together to source an S8 then! 

fowljr

It's the most interesting one for me! I like the 'Desktop' experience from a phone idea!

The Guru

Well worth going down that route mate. Going to see if you can get one for Christmas?

fowljr

I've laid down some hints, so we'll see. Otherwise maybe after Christmas! :-)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this