Smartphone Gurus
The Guru

Review: Brodit Active holder USB with cig-plug adaptor [Product 521999] for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 & Brodit ProClip Mount [Product 604765] for the Peugeot 2008

The Guru

Products: Brodit Active holder USB with cig-plug adaptor [Product 521999] for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 & Brodit ProClip Mount [Product 604765] for the Peugeot 2008

Brodit_Note8_0001a.jpg.7689cfa4ff935a022efa4cb94679c50d.jpg

Our good friends over at DSL Developments have supplied us with a Brodit Active holder USB with cig-plug for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 & Brodit Mount for the Peugeot 2008.  The mount in question is the Active model which is suitable for powering via a cigarette lighter socket (Product code: 521999). The lead terminates in a USB B connection which fits into the cig plug adaptor.  This also means that the USB B connector can be removed from the supplied adaptor and plugged directly into the Peugeot 2008's USB A socket thereby enabling the MirrorScreen / AndroidAuto features on the Note 8.

Note: 'cig-plug' in these politically correct times should be renamed 'accessory socket', but Brodit still use the 'cig-plug' description :)

Brodit_Note8_0002a.jpg.69c123353288133848014606d0c51376.jpg

Both items arrived packaged in the usual Brodit plastic bags. The holder bag contained the mount itself with the integral USB lead, the cig lighter adaptor, instructions and a bag of mounting screws.

Brodit_Note8_0004a.jpg.dbb4ec0a85e7140b9a86c7fda4f2e4b2.jpg

The back of the holder has the standard Brodit 'universal mount' which allows the holder to swivel so it can be positioned with respect to orientation once in the car. The inside of the mount has moulded grooves which are tailored to fit the exact profile of the Note 8. The USB C male connection at the base lines up exactly with the female connector on the bottom of the phone.

The 'active' lead exits via a moulded flexible grommet in the base / back of the holder and Brodit have angled the exit port through 90 degrees so it comes out at the back of the holder - this ensures that the active cable is forced backwards towards the dashboard, thereby reducing the chance of the cable interfering with any controls you may wish to access when driving.

Brodit_Note8_0003a.jpg.04316e056a29a8fb12d30fdcf3a6436b.jpg

The Brodit Mount bag contained the mount itself, instructions, and alcohol wipe pad. The inner 'grip' planes on the ProClip are lined with 3M adhesive pads to ensure a good strong fit onto the car!

Brodit_Note8_0005a.jpg.7c227516b7aee0b5a32a8b0260d3c791.jpg

This model of ProClip is designed to sit between the air vents to the right of the drivers steering wheel (UK RHD car). The 'grip planes' lock onto the bottom (1) and top (2) of the vents respectively.

Brodit_Note8_0006a.jpg.12adbae70a1d1640e4b4aa5cb5f08e9a.jpg

Prior to snapping the gripping arms into place all mating surfaces should be wiped with the alcohol wipe to degrease them and the red protective strips peeled from the 3M  pads.

Brodit_Note8_0007a.jpg.9f0fa99ae63d4a10dcac049bc809c338.jpg

The ProClip is fitted by hooking the angled edge on the upper part of the ProClip over the lower edge of the air vent. Then pulling the ProClip towards you and hooking the angled edge on the lower part under the upper edge of the air vent. It sounds complex but it is straight forward and completed in seconds.

Brodit_Note8_0008a.jpg.d04f2638ebae4e07fd5488176f7f4699.jpg

Next comes the fitting of the mount. Unscrew the central adjustment screw from the universal joint to separate the back part of the mount from the front. Take the back part of the mount and line up the 4 mounting holes with the pre-drilled location holes in the ProClip (there are two positions you can use which share a pair of central holes), then using the 4 mounting screws provided screw it into position.

Brodit_Note8_0009a.jpg.32a7d6710f5613d79b1493dff21401e0.jpg

Then place the front part of the mount back on top of the universal joint and tighten the central screw. Ensure you leave a little looseness, or 'play',  in the joint so you can adjust the angle of the mount.

Brodit_Note8_0010a.jpg.6ed8baa8c51280bfd083580943eb1c09.jpg

Once in position I fed the USB cable behind and over the steering wheel console so that it popped out next to the central console and I was then able to plug it into the cars USB socket.

Brodit_Note8_0011a.jpg.8fe494910c0cdefcdbc1c140135caaac.jpg

The Note 8 can then be slotted into the mount and engaged on the USB C power connector. Finally the angle of the mount can be adjusted to allow both easy entry of the Note 8 into the mount and good (and safe) visibility when driving! The Note 8 was removed and the central screw fully tightened. Job done!

Note the USB charger supplied does not have the Qualcomm Quick Charge technology built in (which would allow it to allow it to "talk" to the phone and negotiate a quick charge session), so if you want to gain Fast charging,  you need to replace that part of the Brodit system. In the car I use an 'AUKEY Quick Charge 2.0 Car Charger 36W 2 Ports USB', as seen here on Amazon which does enable Fast charging. This means I can use the Brodit mounting system either in quick charge mode by placing the USB lead into the AUKEY charger, or opt for a slower charge and have the MirrorScreen / AndroidAuto functions on the Note 8 active via the cars USB port - the best of both worlds! On the 2017 model of the Peugeot 2008 the cig port and USB port are next to each other.

Conclusion:

Brodit have maintained their reputation for designing first class smartphone mounts; and as always the service provided by DSL Developments goes above and beyond expectations.

Pros and Cons:

:tu: A good sturdy holder designed by experts
:tu: Holds the phone securely and firmly in the holder even when driving at speed on rough road surfaces
:tu: Ensures a reasonable level of power for operation when making calls or navigating
:tu: Designed specifically for the Galaxy Note 8
:tu: Good access to the buttons on all sides of the phone
:tu: Active lead exits the housing behind the mount

:td: Not cheap, but this is a premier bracket for a premier phone
:td: Brodit could have supplied a Fast charge power adaptor as standard

Details:

Supplier: DSL Developments

Model: Brodit Active holder USB with cig-plug adaptor [Product 521999] for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8
Model: Brodit ProClip Mount (Peugeot 2008) [Product 604765] for the Peugeot 2008 (2017)

The Guru

As a codicil I should possibly point of that Brodit also make an alternative mount, the 654764 which you can see at DSL here.  I actually had this model of clip fitted but found it got in the way too much when changing gear on the 2008 so opted for the different mount detailed in the review.

neilm

Nice quality kit from Brodit as always.

Personally I prefer a central mount as it means a passenger can operate the music choice or SatNav :)

On my car the power, auxiliary and USB sockets are in the glovebox so there is only a few inches of cable showing!

The Guru

I did have the central mount installed when I was using the S7 Edge but it sat over the air vents (right above the USB/cig ports), but the ProClip and the holder projected a good 2.5 inched from the dash board which meant you had to consciously avoid hitting it when lifting the hard off the gear lever to return it to the steering wheel, plus no matter which orientation you had it in some of the lower centre console switches were obscured which was annoying. 

The right of steering wheel location may not be perfect, as I'm having to route the cable via cable drop grips (similar to these) and a bit of black insulation tape, but it works great for avoiding controls and giving good glanceability at the phone display. 

fowljr

Nice review Daron. These days I use a more generic mount, but it's not a patch on the Brodit quality!

The Guru

Brodit all the way for me I have to say, other mounting systems are just not in the same class, IMHO of course :)

As a matter of interest what do you use Jim?

The Guru

I knew I'd taken a couple of pictures of the 654764 ProClip in the car. As you can see from the photos it does jut out a fair way and can catch finger tips when moving from the gear lever to the steering wheel.

20170603_123840.jpg.ed341cc5066f9626d13f2a0787e5438b.jpg

20170603_130154.jpg.235815c8ebd19a11c2d6b6b42dc072fa.jpg

Boz

Great review Daron, Brodit do make a top notch product.

Not sure about 99 Red balloons though! ;)

The Guru

LOL thanks mate. Rather partial to that song myself. My musical tastes are still rooted in the 80s :)

tonybro
9 hours ago, Boz said:

Great review Daron, Brodit do make a top notch product.

Not sure about 99 Red balloons though! ;)

They do and what's wrong with Nena?

I have the 12" single with the original German version on it... :-)

OK, she didn't shave her underarms but that's very European... :wink:

Boz
16 hours ago, tonybro said:

They do and what's wrong with Nena?

I have the 12" single with the original German version on it... :-)

OK, she didn't shave her underarms but that's very European... :wink:

I thought I'd left 99 Luftballons back in the 80's until I went over to Germany a few years back, it came back to haunt me as they were still playing it in the clubs and bars I visited!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.