Smartphone Gurus
Sign in to follow this  
The Guru

News:5Gb data, unlimited calls and texts - £10 a month from Plusnet

The Guru

PlusNet are currently offering a heck of a deal, 5Gb of data, unlimited calls, unlimited text messages, on a 30 day running contract for £10 a month. Plus they use the EE network so the coverage is there. 

The deal and coverage is that good I've even gone for it myself!

The only bad news is the deal is time limited and only lasts for another 11 days.

You can see the deal here.

View full article

Michael_Mcr

That is a very good deal.

I just changed to an 02 SIM only deal that is currently on offer until mid December.

6Gb of data, unlimited calls, unlimited text messages on a 12 month contract for £16 month, reduced from £26. 

tonybro

Three called us the other day and Jane has gone with 4GB, unlimited Texts and any network minutes for £7 per month on a 12 month renewal. I got the same deal but added the Personal Hotspot (tethering!) and paying £13 per month.

The Guru

For me the main difference is the coverage between O2 and EE (which PlusNet use). I spent over 3 hours comparing coverage in various locations varying from home, work, past holiday destinations and all the places we've bookmarked to visit while on holiday next year (and sad to say yes we do plan that far ahead and in that much detail). In many of the locations we're looking to visit O2 have either no coverage at all or no 4G, EE had 4G listed everywhere bar 3 locations and in those 3G was there. Only in one place was there no coverage and that was the same on both networks. 

So I'm hoping that next year if we are in any holiday cafe's I'll actually be able to catch up with a bit of news or upload photos with having connectivity. Oh and not have to walk / drive out looking for receptivity to make a phone call.

Michael_Mcr

I really like the European roaming that 02 have had for a while (not sure if others do this). 

We do like mini-breaks and had a great time in Barcelona earlier this year using Google maps extensively on 02's capped euro data rate of just £1.99 per day. As i understand it, its now changing so that you can use your included allowance in europe too.

Google maps  +  search was absolutely epic for finding locations and then showing us public transport options for getting there, including live timetables. 

Other than that, i have always stuck with 02 simply because it has great coverage where we live and the places i normally find myself. 

The EE prices are very tempting though! 

Boz

Blimey that is a good deal!

I'm happy with GiffGaff to be honest as the (O2) coverage suits me where I live. I have a £10 per month deal which includes 3GB data, 500 minutes and unlimited text. :) 

The Guru

As you know I don't do abroad so not a factor, but if you do check out the deal roaming is supported too.

O2 is pretty great for us around were we live, apart from failing recently at work, but if you look at the below image you can see differences in coverage in places we're likely to visit. Shocking really. PlusNet have a maximum signal strength indicator of 5, of use a different scheme of three groups. Both are rating full 4G internet coverage only.  Red indicates no 4G coverage. Nill is no internet coverage at all. You can see why I was impressed.

coverage_extract.jpg.408558c3cbca4f219ba214d4803cec1b.jpg

tonybro

Three have had international roaming across many countries from your UK allowance (voice and data) for a few years now. Very useful for me.

The Guru

Grin I'm very glad it's not something I worry about, as long as Wales is covered I'm good LOL.

neilm

Coverage is why I finally lost patience with O2 and moved to Vodafone. OK, no operator covers us at home but at least Voda offer the Sure Signal micro-cell, and also Wi-Fi calling on the Galaxy S8.

I pay £14 a month for unlimited calls and texts and 8GB data including tethering. 

The claims about including European roaming now are rather hollow as since June it has been a legal requirement to include data, call and text roaming within the normal allowance with no additional charges

The Guru

A good deal indeed there mate tethering I might look at in the future but no real need for it yet. Voda coverage round here is dire. It's used by the company for their mobiles, great down South but up here always causes a lot of complaints!

The Guru

Shortly after this deal Virgin Mobile, who also use the EE network, offered a slightly better SIM-only deal. £10 for 6GB of monthly data.

Now Plusnet have come back fighting, and have matched the Virgin Mobile deal. Because of the Black Friday madness this is only available until November 30th, but you now get unlimited texts, unlimited minutes and 6GB of monthly data for just £10. Head here for the offer.

Oh and I just rang the very nice people at Plusnet, and they've migrated me on to the new 6Gb deal at zero cost :) Loving these guys!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this