Smartphone Gurus
Sign in to follow this  
The Guru

Christmas desires....

The Guru

Well Christmas presents now sorted out, decided on a Google Home Mini (to test out and compare to the Amazon Echo) and a Leatherman Tread bracelet. Fancied the latter for ages and saw one yesterday in a proper army and navy shop and fell in love. Gadget and engineering lusts satisfied LOL.

Michael_Mcr

The Leatherman Tread bracelet is a very useful and discrete bit of EDC.

I carried a Leatherman Micra on my keyring for years and swapped it for the Squirt PS4 with the pliers a couple of years back. 

Michael_Mcr

I havn't really got a list of me-stuff for this year, other than at some point i will buy an Android tablet, when i see something decent like a Samsung at a good price.

Amazon and Ebay have slowly but surely taken some of the mounting excitement off Christmas and Birthdays in recent years ... LOL

The Guru
13 hours ago, Michael_Mcr said:

The Leatherman Tread bracelet is a very useful and discrete bit of EDC.

I carried a Leatherman Micra on my keyring for years and swapped it for the Squirt PS4 with the pliers a couple of years back. 

Okay you've lost me with the EDC bit. I've wanted a Leatherman tool for years, after seeing yours at SS in fact Mike. The Tread interested me as I saw the press release when it launched, but never saw one in the flesh. Saw one of the guys wearing one on Forged in Fire a couple of weeks ago and that re-awoke the interest and when I saw it in the flesh and saw how good it looked well we've ordered on at a cheaper price online.

How well does the PS4 work, as that looks ideal for a keyring tool?

12 hours ago, tonybro said:

4K Blu-Rays and more Vinyl for me...

Any particular films Tony?

11 hours ago, Michael_Mcr said:

I havn't really got a list of me-stuff for this year, other than at some point i will buy an Android tablet, when i see something decent like a Samsung at a good price.

Amazon and Ebay have slowly but surely taken some of the mounting excitement off Christmas and Birthdays in recent years ... LOL

I was looking at the new Kindle Oasis but went off that rapidly when the Amazon official covers all went out of stock with no signs of them reappearing. Plus there was no real need to replace my Voyage, just nothing else I fancied apart from possibly more smart home kit and while that is cool tech it's not Christmas present type stuff.

Michael_Mcr

The big tool (oh err) i used at SS was a Leatherman Fuse, which is still going strong. 

The keyring leatherman i had at that time was a Micra, which i bought in the 1990's and is also still in good order. 

The ps4 is great, because the pliers are actually quite useable. I had always liked the big scissors of the Micra, but find the ps4 pliers are more useful for being able to grip small things when needed. 

"EDC" is Every Day Carry, which is an inter-web phenomenon for discovering and discussing really useful stuff you keep in your pockets or on a key ring. You have to ignore some of the Americans, who think a 9mm pistol + spare ammo comes under "things i wouldn't leave home without", but generally searching for EDC brings up lots of useful info about wallets,  multi-tools, keyring torches etc, etc. 

You will love it D, its a whole subject devoted to tiny but important objects of desire 👍 

Boz

I'm getting an early Xmas present here, a Galaxy Gear S3 Frontier.

That should keep me amused for a while. :)

The Guru
52 minutes ago, Michael_Mcr said:

The big tool (oh err) i used at SS was a Leatherman Fuse, which is still going strong. 

The keyring leatherman i had at that time was a Micra, which i bought in the 1990's and is also still in good order. 

The ps4 is great, because the pliers are actually quite useable. I had always liked the big scissors of the Micra, but find the ps4 pliers are more useful for being able to grip small things when needed. 

"EDC" is Every Day Carry, which is an inter-web phenomenon for discovering and discussing really useful stuff you keep in your pockets or on a key ring. You have to ignore some of the Americans, who think a 9mm pistol + spare ammo comes under "things i wouldn't leave home without", but generally searching for EDC brings up lots of useful info about wallets,  multi-tools, keyring torches etc, etc. 

You will love it D, its a whole subject devoted to tiny but important objects of desire 👍 

Ah ha I thought you did have a large on years ago, one seen never forgotten LOL. Hows does the SP4 work as an EDC device? I will defo have to Google EDC as that might indeed show lots of interesting things.

"tiny but important objects of desire" - Hmm now thinking of Bonnie Langford  & Kylie Minogue! LOL

17 minutes ago, Boz said:

I'm getting an early Xmas present here, a Galaxy Gear S3 Frontier.

That should keep me amused for a while. :)

You'll enjoy mate, look forward to you joining the club!

Michael_Mcr

The Squirt PS4 is really good as a key ring tool.

The blade and scissors are a bit small, but good enough for everyday things like cutting paper or string. The pliers are surprisingly good, considering their tiny size.

As with everything EDC, it comes into its own when it is small enough and useful enough to be always with you, either in a pocket or on a key ring.

The other two things always on my key ring are the Nitecore Tube micro torch and the Nitecore Doohickey.

The Guru

Hmm interesting I like the look of both, but I can see the keyring with the Squirt, Tube, and Doohickey becoming a bit big and bulky to fit in the pocket?

Michael_Mcr

Not really, they are all just slightly longer than a Yale key and not too bulky

The Doohickey, btw, is far more useful than it first appears. It is plenty strong enough to be used as a mini-crowbar or a big screwdriver.

Boz

I do like the Doohickey key tool Mike it looks right up my street, just a shame the nut sizes are imperial as I could have done with metric. :(

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this