Smartphone Gurus
Sign in to follow this  
The Guru

Christmas desires....

The Guru

Wow, good news that Jim, as it can't have got much slower IMHO!

fowljr

Nope, that's true! :-) It's like night & day mate. Completely unreal the difference it has made. I'll try and do a video with it on, then with it off!

The Guru

That'd be cool to see the difference.

Michael_Mcr

Having "OK Google" detection switched on all-the-time is a speed and battery killer on Android phones too. You get noticably snappier performance and less battery drain if you use the option where its only switched on in the google search screen or requires a tap of the microphone icon first. 

The Guru

Hmm interesting there Mike, I have it activated on the Note 8 and on that machine it seems to be fine. No issues at all with speed or battery life. 

tonybro
On 24/11/2017 at 12:15, tonybro said:

I snagged a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature headphones from the Bay on Sunday - lovely.

P7s for travelling and P9s for home....

They sound amazing...

2nd hand but brand new - still had the plastic on the ear caps...

Grabbed a Creek headphone amp to drive these cans. Again eBay special with 20% off code from the Bay themselves. Less than £100 delivered...

Top stuff - sounds amazing with the P9s...

OBH21.jpg

fowljr

Wow, that looks pretty cool. Where do you fit it Tony? Into a custom case?

Michael_Mcr

Creek Audio is seriously pukker gear.

BOT to Christmas Stuff - i have got green lights for my birthday pres from the rels and am going to put their contributions towards an Android tablet - fancy the Asus Zenpad, but am open to suggestions for a non-ipad premium  8 to 10" tablet ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MS3J3R5/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3FAHDXUYHSP4L&colid=S1919IVMYT9I&psc=0

The Guru

Looks like a decent spec MIke, but not a tablet user here so really can't advise.

tonybro
16 hours ago, fowljr said:

Wow, that looks pretty cool. Where do you fit it Tony? Into a custom case?

No, it's stand alone with power supply - hook it up directly to a source or via the tape loop on the main amp.

Takes two sets of headphones and has a volume control.

Sits alongside one of my phono amps, DACS and PSUs...

I started my career selling hi-fi back in the 80s so always had a 'proper' hi-fi system since then. They aren't that fashionable now with everyone streaming or using phones and mp3s. Some old kit is worth a pretty penny and collectible. My hi-fi contains a CD player (Musical Fidelity), cassette deck (Nakamichi BX300E), dual antenna tuner (Sony), high spec Mini-disc player, two additional phono amplifiers (for turntables), a DAC, a PSU for some of the Musical Fidelity stuff, a Musical Fidelity dual mono amp, Bowers & Wilkins speakers and four turntables!

In the same room on my PC I have a set of Musical Fidelity pre/power amps and French Triangle 'Titus e' speakers.

They both sound fantastic.

Can't be doing with low quality reproduction of music. I really pity the youth of today that just live off a diet of compressed, streamed music. My son was amazed how good a 60s recording of Jimi Hendrix sounded on vinyl compared to his mp3.

Times change and so may things are vying for their attention nowadays - very few people sit and listen to music now. It's now regarded as background.

Michael_Mcr

Agree about sound quality of compressed music, but have always had to compromise between having a decent home hifi setup and doing most listening to the move.

In the past i had the best walkman and used chrome or metal tapes and then also had minidisc (and i always thought that Atrac sounded much smoother than any Mp3). 

Now i rip cd's at best quality i can and think that 320 or lossless is fairly reasonable to listen to.

I do hate the practice of "remastering" or "reissuing" cd's with the sound levels limited and  flattened to suit low-level listening... 

The HTC 10 has great audio processing and music sounds smooth and expansive via Poweramp and decent headphones. 

neilm

I've been having mixed results with my new setup! 

To recap, I decided to buy a Quad Vena amplifier and Quad S2 speakers to upgrade my audio experience. I already have a Marantz CD6000 KI Signature CD player. The sound is fantastic compared to my previous rather mid range stuff.

However I needed a few extras to get all my sources working- the Quad amplifier has no phono input and of course no network capability. 

So I got a pretty good Angle Phono Pre-amp. These are hand made but the seller only sells on eBay. Needed about 2 weeks power up to settle in but now sounding very good!

Network stuff has been the headache- As I mentioned before, my wife bought me a Qobuz Sublime subscription for Christmas, which gives streaming in full CD quality and purchased downloads at studio master quality. I also have a lot of FLAC and MP3 music on my NAS.

After some research I decided on  a Yamaha WXAD-10 which a relative bought for me. NAS and internet radio perfomance has been excellent but despite apparently including a Qobuz API built into it, it won't reliably stream any content. All the search and account stuff is working, but streams just stop after a variable time and won't resume until a full reset. Neither Qobuz nor Yamaha have any explanation, so I've just initiated a return via Amazon rather then mess about till the DOA period ends. Now looking at a Bluesound Node 2 network streamer instead. More expensive but apparently a good reliable unit. 

In the meantime I've reverted to my Google Chromecast Audio which is reliable with Qobuz and goes up to 24bit/192Khz resolution. The interface is poor though!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this