Smartphone Gurus
Sign in to follow this  
The Guru

British Gas Customers - free Hive hub and light bulb pack (worth £118)

The Guru

British Gas Customers you can log on to your account rewards and claim a free Hive hub and light bulb pack (worth £118). They are giving away 39,000 packs on a 1st come basis, they also have an Xmas light deal but can only claim one or the other not both.

The Guru

Not a problem, we got one too. Be interesting to see how well it integrates into the Echo.

Michael_Mcr

We currently don't have Hive, so i guess we will be getting a sales call re installation from British Gas as part of this deal. Our current set-up is newish boiler with older controls, so it could work out useful.

My understanding is that it connects to the boiler wiring, just as any other electronic thermostat would, then its a case of connecting the wifi box to your router.

The Guru

There is a good deal on Hive at the moment, but as our router is downstairs in the extension and the boilder in the loft at the other side of the house no way a Wi-Fi signal will reach!

Boz

That's a shame for me, I'm leaving British Gas as their prices are now going up. I'm always changing energy suppliers to get the best deal. :)

neilm

There seems to be an ever increasing need to compare price and tariff rates for energy companies these days. 

When EON got very expensive two years ago I moved to Extra Energy, who offered a decent fixed rate, which was also the best deal at last year's renewal. This year however, they are much more expensive, and even more than EON or some of the other big names.

So, after an hour or so of delving around, I've now signed with a new, small energy company called Igloo Energy. They only offer a standard variable rate but for my usage it works out a lot cheaper (about £180 a year) than any other. 

Extra Energy were renowned for their poor IT services, though I have to say that after the account 'settled down', it was OK. Igloo are much more switched on and got the new account up and running with full online access within two days. 

I do have a major gripe with Extra Energy's 'renewal invitation'; the letter they sent out looked, at face value to be competitive for their estimated annual cost, but looking more closely at the smaller print, I noticed that it was using a consumption figure about 25% less than I actually use. As they obviously know how much I've used over the last two years, I find that to be deceptive and could encourage less aware customers to sign up again on false pretences. 

I don't use Hive, nor really have a need for it, but for the last 15 years have used a programmable thermostat to control the house temperature. 

The Guru

All of them are rip off merchants I think, I know we'll likely be looking at moving next year.

Michael_Mcr

We have used the Martin Lewis website deal finder the last two years and it seems to work well. Put your details in and off it goes,comparing tariffs for you.

Boz

The better half is sorting the new dual fuel supplier it's usually a matter of who's cheapest but with decent feedback, and no fees for leaving! Location plays a part in quotes too.  

We are using So Energy in our other place and had no issues with them.

The Guru

A good point Martin Lewis is a great guy!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this