Smartphone Gurus
The Guru

PC backup program?

The Guru

Guys any PC backup programs that can be recommended for backing up a workstation to an 8Tb USB external Seagate drive? The supplied software has issues and I'm looking for something reliable which can be scheduled to do a full backup each Sunday (starting at 10:am and catch up if the PC is off), then do an incremental each day after that, and then merge the incremental into the full backup each week. Keep 3 full backups and delete the older ones. Also hopefully use a backup format that can be read via File Explorer (just in case). Oh and ideally free or charge or low cost :)

Michael_Mcr

Don't know of any other than Live Drive, but that is entirely cloud based as far as i know and i think its fee based.

tonybro

I use Second Copy but that is more of a Sync platform than Backup - I use it for a number of folders to take copies from main PCs onto NAS box but can work to local USB too. Doesn't sound like it will serve your needs though.

Acronis is true backup software but £45 for a workstation license....

The Guru

So far from a lot of investigating last night it looks like Macrium Reflect will be the program of choice. The free version looks good while the home will give everything I need, but it's pricey like Acronis.

neilm

I use Bvckup which is a really simple small program. I does full and incremental and can be scheduled. It is a full copy program though- no compression or encryption

The Guru

Looks lie it is a sweet program, a bit difficult to tell when it was last updated from their forum, is it is active development?

neilm

Yes, it gets incremental updates about every one to two weeks on average. They download and install after a prompt but the updates then install silently.

The Guru

Okay, sounds good. From an initial look it seems you have to set a backup job for each drive? Is this right?

neilm

I don't know. I only have one drive to back up!

The Guru

Right progress so far:

• Macrium - has a horrible interface and only mirrors full drives unless you buy it. Off the test list.
  • Comodo - Some nasty bugs in there and wont run if you exclude folders from backup. Not fully updated since 2014! Off the test list.
  • BackUp Maker - Interface could be better, looks a bit dated. Bit of a pain to configure. It is supported. So far it is working. More configuration needed.
  • BvckUp - Running now. You do have to set up multiple jobs for each drive to be backed up, and scheduling seems strange. Seems like no compression? No incremental backups? Still testing!

neilm

Just to clarify- Bvckup does use incremental/ differential backups but does not create or keep multiple generations unless you create a different 'job' for each generation required. It does not use compression and backed up files can simply be copied back from the backup medium.

The Guru

Hmm more reading top be done here as to how it does the incremental / differential backups. Unless you mean it uses delta copying to keep the backups up to date? With their approach do you not end up with backup bloat whereby superceded files in effect build up in the backup folders? Also the 6 hour backup I'm assuming that is designed to run to 'top up the differences' using delta copies?

Still trying to work out the exact benefits of the system.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.