Smartphone Gurus
Sign in to follow this  
The Guru

Tablet Quandry - Samsung Tab S3 v iPad Pro 10.5"

The Guru

Thinking of getting a tablet for everyday / holiday use as a swap out for the laptop. I'm considering the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 and the new iPad Pro 10.5". I'm thinking of looking more favourably towards the iPad Pro as the processor is newer and I know the operating system will be supported for a good few years to come.

The problem is that the iPad is significantly more expensive, and on top of the cost of the 256Mb (£769) model I'd be looking at getting the keyboard which adds another £129 to the buy price. A lot of money. The Tab S3 costs £499, significantly cheaper but no guaranteed OS upgrades, but one can add an SD card and it does include the S-pen.

Reviews do give the iPad the edge but is that edge worth the added cost..... thoughts....

Michael_Mcr

I am about to take ownership of an ASUS ZenPad  3S 10 (the Z500M model) on Tuesday, which i decided on after looking at the Samsung S3 (nice, but pricey at £500) and The Samsung S2 (similar price to the ASUS  but a bit dated in some respects).

The Zenpad can be had for £299 from John Lewis at the moment and ticks all the boxs for me.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Tablets/ASUS-ZenPad-3S-10-Z500M/

EDIT: Arrrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhh .......... John Lewis have now reduced it to £250.........just a couple of days after my other half bought it for me as a birthday present at £299 ......... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

neilm

Samsung every time for me!

I still use the Galaxy Tab S2 which is 2 years old and going strong. 

I also regularly use an iPad Air and it drives me to distraction with its arcane way of forcing you do do things Apple's way or not at all. In my opinion the user experience is way behind an Android tablet.

tonybro

I just question why buy a tablet to do the work of a laptop? If you need the keyboard, get a laptop. Some good, light ones in that budget. If you don't want keyboard then go tablet. Grab a thin, light laptop would be my suggestion.

Both my tablets are in drawers, not is use. I just use my Stream7 when in bed for a bit of surfing and reading. Every other occasion it is HP laptop or Surface Pro.

Like Neil says though, I wouldn't be going Apple, you'd throw it out the Window in no time! And it is fooking expensive for what it is! :blink:

Michael_Mcr

I want a tablet just for movies / music / games when i am travelling or couch surfing. Basic interweb and email is all i want of it.

Will still keep the SP3 going for serious stuff.

The Guru

Yeah I've come to the conclusion that the iPad though sweet is VERY expensive for a tablet and if I was going to pay nigh on a grand then I'd rather pay a bit more and consider the Lenovo Yoga 920. If I was going that route then I'd wait until the Spectre free processors were out so next years product.

Mike that Zen page looks very intriguing but Android 6 is a bit dated now, and no SD card support put me off. So the S3 still tempts.....

Michael_Mcr

The Zenpad does have a micro SD card slot ( ASUS list it under "interfaces" , but not "Storage" bizarrely). I checked a few reviews and it definitely has a microSd slot.

The specs say it is an SDXC up to 128GB, which will be more than enough for movies and music storage. System memory has approx 24Gb left after system + bloatware, which is plenty enough for apps for me.

Apropos Android - I have seen a few forums where owners say the Zenpad updates itself to Nougat at first power-up, otherwise i would have agreed with you about Marshmallow being a deal breaker.

Will try to do a bit of a review when i get it.

The Guru

Yep a bit more reading confirmed the SD slot is there and that Nougat should download too. Makes it a lot more interesting and viable, so I look forward to the mini review!

fowljr

Sue bought me a Linx 12X64 for Christmas. As you know, I'm a big fan of the Linx tablets. Comes with a Keyboard and is 64bit, which is what I wanted. I had to upgrade the Windows version to Pro, as it comes with Home. 199 quid all in and does the job marvellously for what I want.

I still have a Nexus 7 2013 for Android tinkering, which I've now upgraded to Lineage OS to get it on Nougat, thinking about trying the Lineage Oreo builds soon! :-)

Whilst we on tablets, I've just taken delivery of a Surface Pro 5 at work, with the Surface Dock, Pen, network dongle etc. It's blooming marvellous, much prefer it to my Lenovo laptop!!

The Guru

The Linx is cool but a bit low-res for a Windows machine IMHO. I'd prefer my Stream 7 if it was not so limited and impossible to uplift. Hmm I'm interested in the Nexus 7 project there Jim, still got mine somewhere (I think) and that might be cool to follow you on that. How slowly does it run?

fowljr

With Lineage on it, it runs pretty well in fact. I'll dig it out later & have another play, haven't done that for a while!!

Hmmm, the Linx 12X64 is full HD 1920x1080, so I haven't really noticed any issues there, I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it D. But then my requirements are low end for the tablet! :-)

The Guru

LOL, fairy nuff. As I said interested in the Nexus project...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this