Smartphone Gurus
Sign in to follow this  
neilm

SPG Staff HiFi and AV recommendations

tonybro

Excellent!

As I said, the Bluenote's have a great reputation.

I feel for you on the Yammy app. The Denon one isn't much better - something a developer threw together in an afternoon as a working prototype and they said, we'll take it! :wink:

neilm
On 1/25/2018 at 10:57, fowljr said:

Nice one. Any chance of a pic of your setup Neil? I dpn't have anything like it! :-)

Here you go Jim!

Sorry it's a bit dark! My HiFi stuff is inside a wooden cabinet in a corner of our 'quiet' sitting room. The small leads you may be able to see attached to the front of the CD player and amplifier are connected to a Neet infrared repeater, with a receiver at the bottom of the outside of the cabinet, so I can control things with the doors closed. The speakers are not ideally placed, being either side of a settee, but at least the tweeters are above the level of the settee!

The Quad speakers have their own design of ribbon tweeter, which gives a fantastic upper and upper mid-range sound. Also, I was expecting the bass to be a bit light after using a subwoofer in the past, but in fact it is even better- more controlled and 'faster'

Although small, the Quad amplifier has a huge amount of attack and dynamics, driving the speakers to perfection. This does have the downside of exposing poorly recorded material a little, but just proves the old 'rubbish in- rubbish out' adage. 

The Bluesound streamer in combination with Qobuz high resolution music streaming is a real revelation. Being able to choose pretty much anything to stream at CD quality is a luxury I'm quickly getting to rely on. I rarely play CDs now, but do still play a lot of my old vinyl stuff :)

20180128_170204.thumb.jpg.901b3f52626fb2f97a457ecdc11ff8f5.jpg

20180128_170045.thumb.jpg.8ca699c95f9a9a7beed64ff35701fd89.jpg20180128_165952.thumb.jpg.ea1280a4d75cf47ec93f3f77889cd947.jpg20180128_170133.thumb.jpg.d42eb126d9f1cdd88fce7b2f968609be.jpg

neilm
On 1/25/2018 at 14:39, tonybro said:

Excellent!

As I said, the Bluenote's have a great reputation.

I feel for you on the Yammy app. The Denon one isn't much better - something a developer threw together in an afternoon as a working prototype and they said, we'll take it! :wink:

Yamaha have two Android apps for their connected amplifiers and AV equipment. The older NP Controller was used to control non-interlinked stuff like the R-N500 I've just sold. It was OK but the interface was a little old school! 

Latterly they use the MusicCast system to control everything. Once again, it works, but the interface is limited. Online music streaming has search and play but absolutely no metadata information or artist information. 

BlueOS for Bluesound is a whole lot better with a decent App design and features. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this